Author Topic: Joseph Nicholls born13.8.1881 date of birth from F==Married Florence Anthony1906  (Read 1817 times)

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoping  very much for help, as you can see Ihave just started, just need confirmation???
to start me off researching,  checked freereg2 famiysearch, really need help.thankyou Margaret.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I think you will find that Joseph was in fact 2 years older than he stated.   Census shows no Joseph Nichols/Nicholls bc.1881 Peterborough until the one after his marriage.

1891 Census states he was bc.1879 Peterborough, son of Joseph and Sarah.

He and 5 siblings were all baptised on the same day - 27/2/1889 - St Mary, Peterborough but although the original parish entry for these is on Ancestry the vicar hasn't written in their individual birth dates or how old they were.

There is a birth entry for a Joseph Nicholls in Sept.qtr.1879 Peterborough (which would fit with a birthday in August) .   I'm guessing he lopped a couple of years off his age as his wife was actually some 7/8 years younger than him.    As there is no clarification of his birthdate in the baptism entry your only recourse is to purchase the birth certificate of the Joseph in 1879 to clarify if he was indeed born on 13th August.   People might get their year of birth wrong (by accident or design) but not their birth day.

GRO site confirms his mothers maiden name was Stapleton so then looked for a marriage for his parents.   Eventually found it as:

Joseph Nickols and Sarah Stapleton Mar.quarter 1874 Peterborough

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just found a tree on ancestry that shows Joseph and Florence married 23/9/1906 All Saints, Peterborough and includes copy of the parish certificate.   Joseph's father is shown as Joseph Nicholls, deceased, bricklayer (and 1891/1901 census confirms Joseph senior was indeed a bricklayer.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thankyou so much Annette for your help.Margaret.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
marriage register entry...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thankyou so much for the marriage.Margaret.