Author Topic: Cropping and saving 2 parts of a PDF on one page Help please. Completed Thanks.  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Cropping and saving 2 parts of a PDF on one page Help please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
There is a way to copy and paste what you see on the screen (a page of a pdf document) to Paint.

On your keyboard (usually top row to the right), you'll find a key called PrSc. If you press this together with the 'Shift' key, anything that's on the screen will be copied to the Windows 'clipboard'.
In Paint, click on 'Paste' and you'll get the contents of your screen as an 'image' in Paint.

Click on 'Select' and then 'Rectangular selection' and you can select the area of the image you want to keep. Click on 'Crop' (next to Select) to remove everything else. You can then save the result as a JPG file.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Well done Hallmark. I managed to do that. There is a drawback The files are pdf which won't open in paint. But it works if I use snipping tool and save as jpeg 1st. I have actual photocopy certs for most of my closest ancestors so I think I will just be cropping the one bit with the persons info and then saving as whatever register it came from as part of the file name. That will do me, except for a few I will do with paint.

Thanks again
M
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Just a small addition to Mike's reply:
if you have a larger monitor with several windows open, then you can press <Alt> and <PrSc> together, and only the window currently in focus will be copied to the clipboard.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 May 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike and Bob. Again lovely clear instructions I am able to use. Think I have it sorted now, delighted with myself, a big thankyou one and all. Now all I need is the time ;D
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
If you are doing things from scratch that is easy way to do it... you already have cut outs.  You can cut a snippet and paste it in one under heading... then cut out all the rest you don't need, leaving you with heading and snippet.

Make white area smaller when finished!!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
My initial reply was to this....  have used it successfully to crop the sections I want and have saved but have ended up with 2 jpeg files. I can't figure out how to save both onto the same page.

...and my instructions were how to do that.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Possibly a quicker and easier method is to use Irfanview (popular, very widley used, very easy to understand, free photo editor).

If already using snipping tool
Snip and copy first image.
Go to irfanview select Edit/paste. (image appears)
Snip and copy second image.
Go back to Irfanview where the first image is. select Edit/pastespecial. You can then select to paste to the top, bottom, left or right of the first image. Both images now shown. Save as jpg.

Job done, no working out how large a canvas you need, no moving things around.

Simon

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just a footnote to all the advice above: When you 'snip' part of a PDF file make sure you have enlarged the view as much as possible on screen to get the best image quality.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent