Author Topic: George RICHMOND, born on 5 November 1707 in Crosscanonby  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
George RICHMOND, born on 5 November 1707 in Crosscanonby
« on: Sunday 07 May 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
I offered to help a French acquaintance  with some genealogical research in England, but I didn't realize how far he had already gotten back already.

According to the information he sent me, he is descended from George RICHMOND, born on 5 November 1707 in Crosscanonby, Cumberland, who married Marie Elizabeth BALLE (or BALLET), a French lady, on 9 April 1744, at the church of Saint Martin in Bergues, northern France.     

It appears that George was a carpenter living in Bergues in 1741, but was running some kind of tavern (he was a Cabaretier) in 1743.

It appears that the RICHMOND family might have been Catholic, as there was at least one Catholic priest of this name amongst his indirect ancestors.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused George to emigrate to France and how I could find his birth record?

I will put a similar post in the Ayrshire, Scotland, forum, as his father, Georges RICHMOND, was born there on 20 December, 1681, but came down to Crosscanonby, where he married Hanna PHANACKER (born in 1680 in Crosscanonby) on 18 October 1707. This is as far as his research goes, and he would like to trace it back further if possible.

Thank you,

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George RICHMOND, born on 5 November 1707 in Crosscanonby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
George was baptised on 05 Nov 1707 not birth date.

There is George Richmont,(proberly Richmond), born 20 Dec 1681
Ayr, Scotland. His parents were John Richmond b1639 and  Janet Dickie b1643.

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Solidrock. That must be him.

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me:

(1) The record found online for George Richmond who was baptised on 5 Nov 1707 in Crosscanonby has very little information and does not include any image of the original record. Would the original record contain more information?

(2) It appears that the IGI does not have marriage records for Crosscanonby earlier than 1717 and I have not so far found any such records anywhere else. In theory, George Richmond (the father, born in Ayr in 1681) married on 18 October 1707 in Crosscanonby. Would the Carlisle records office have this on film and do they offer some kind of lookup service?

Many thanks,

Alan