Author Topic: Schüssler / Schussler / Saxon  (Read 267 times)

Offline EvanSaxon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Schüssler / Schussler / Saxon
« on: Tuesday 21 February 17 03:27 GMT (UK) »
This will be a stretch as I have very little to go off of.
My Grandfather was born in Halle, Germany on 7th July 1928
He emigrated to Australia post WW2 and changed his name to Frank Saxon.
I believe he might have originally been known as Frank Shussler, however am awaiting confirmation from my father. My Grandfather unfortunately died in 2014 and took a lot of the information to the grave. As far as I am aware, he was the only surviving member of his direct family but might have had an Aunt who he lived with before Emigrating.
I would very much like to find any births registered on that date or even that month in Halle(Saale) so that I can scour through for reference with any other information that comes my way.

Any help is appreciated
- Evan

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Schüssler / Schussler / Saxon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Evan,

Welcome to Rootschat.

You may have greater success if you start a new thread with a more appropriate title.(*)

German law governing the access to vital (birth, marriage and death) is very strict. The records of births that occured less than 110 years ago will not be available on the internet; they can only be obtained by direct descendants from the registry office (Standesamt) where the birth was registered.

Are there no records of his arrival in Australia? Do you know when he left Germany?

Many of the historical address books for Halle are available online (all on German websites, of course). If you search for 'Halle adressbuch 1928', for example, you will be able to navigate to the digital images.

http://digital.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/hd/periodical/zoom/2446601

In 1928 there were eight entries for Schüssler/Schüßler; in 1950, there were nine.

You really need to interrogate your father to extract every morsel of information.

Justin

(*) Moderator Comment: split off to from new topic

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Schüssler / Schussler / Saxon
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Evan...  Be prepared to be ignored after a while. It seems to be the normal procedure by certain moderators