Author Topic: John Hughes 1595, Llanalgo Anglesey  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Twdyr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Hughes 1595, Llanalgo Anglesey
« on: Sunday 07 May 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the will or estate papers for John Hughes (possibly 'Sir' John), born c. 1595 Glan Y Afon. Llanalgo.  He married Mary Griffith of Llanddyfnan Anglesey.
He had one (maybe two) sons, Rees/John who emigrated to Virginia about 1649, and I am trying to find any estate papers that might confirm the name of his children.
He died c 1640-55, possibly in Pembroke.
Nothing obvious showing in Nat Lib of Wales. I appreciate this is many years ago, but I'm writing in hope that someone might recognise the name through the mists of time !

Any advice gratefully received.
Philip
Jenkins: Guilden Sutton/Plemonstall, Manley, Bebington: Cheshire. Wales, Hawarden Fl
Hughes/Jenkins pre-1650 north Wales., possibly Anglesey/ or Huyish of Somerset.
Smith: Somerset, North Curry area.
Dawson: Birkenhead, Lancashire, and USA.
Lawton: Birkenhead, Wirral, Staffordshire.
Jones: Flintshire, Flint
Lea/Newnes: Chirk Mill, Penley, Hanmer, Worthenbury
Williams: Llanbeblig/Caernarvon.
Rowland: Llandrygarn, Anglesey.
Brew/Lewney: Isle of Man
Powell/Bennett/Forward/Coram: Somerset/Wellingto

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes 1595, Llanalgo Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
RootsWeb has a tree for this family based on the Williams Latham Charlier families list. John Hughes is shown here but there are no dates given. The entry for John Hughes, (died in March 1755), married to Mary Griffith, born in Llandyfnan, shows his ancestors living at Tre'rdafarn, Llanallgo, going back at least seven generations at this house and the family records going back much further. There is no mention of a title in the family. John and Mary had 8 children, all born at Glan yr Afon.
                      Regards.
PS There is a title in this family but you have to go back to 1137 to Hwfa Ap Cynddelw, Lord Of Llifon.
Just checked backwards through the 7 generations. No sons named Rees. John Hughes, married to Mary Griffith, was the first of the family to move to Glan yr Afon. If the date you quote as 1595 is really 1695 then this John looks like your man.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Twdyr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes 1595, Llanalgo Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
I'm sure John & Rees/Rice Hughes appear on Virginia land records before 1695, which puts his/their birth about 1625 with an immigration about 1649. It looks like I need to go back 2 generations to the John Hughes who married Blanche Lloyd and died c. 1689. According to the Hughes of Tre'fadarn tree (from the Griffith book of 1914), he has no children by those names - but they could be born to one of his siblings, Hugh, William (a sea captain) or Thomas.

Many thanks for your time as you have cleared up some generational questions.
Appreciated!
Philip
Jenkins: Guilden Sutton/Plemonstall, Manley, Bebington: Cheshire. Wales, Hawarden Fl
Hughes/Jenkins pre-1650 north Wales., possibly Anglesey/ or Huyish of Somerset.
Smith: Somerset, North Curry area.
Dawson: Birkenhead, Lancashire, and USA.
Lawton: Birkenhead, Wirral, Staffordshire.
Jones: Flintshire, Flint
Lea/Newnes: Chirk Mill, Penley, Hanmer, Worthenbury
Williams: Llanbeblig/Caernarvon.
Rowland: Llandrygarn, Anglesey.
Brew/Lewney: Isle of Man
Powell/Bennett/Forward/Coram: Somerset/Wellingto