Author Topic: Finding my Mothers ancestors  (Read 2373 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my Mothers ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

??? Was David Samuel BEVINS 1855 Stockton him mmn Davison?
Keyboard
 ;D or am I late for the party!

No that looks a good match, I was just looking for Bevan! Can you see either of the girls to check if it is the same family?

Just checked myself Jan & couldn't see any other births for that maiden surname unfortunately.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Then I'm afraid the only way might be to either get the death certificates, or as Pollyanna obviously lives in the area, check the parish records to see if they give the parents' names. Once we have those we may be able to work out if there is any connection.

I think we may have to wait until Pollyanna answers to see if she already knows anything about her mother's family. According to Find a Grave, those are the only 3 Bevan graves in that cemetery.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pollyanna236

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 May 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies ,really interesting comments my mams Dad is called David Bevan and his dad did live in Stockton area for a time don't know a great deal about my mams side of the family but plan to look into it and find out as much as I can would like to have seen the graves but couldn't find them will keep trying although there is a lot of over growth could be anywhere thanks again everyone

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 May 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Have a look on Find a Grave, Pollyanna, that gives the grave numbers.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=16350699&ref=acom

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 May 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
Groom already mentioned this, but if you are trying to find out if the Bevan burials belong to your family, then it might be better if you start from your known Bevans ie your grandfather (?), and trace back through the generations. You said that your great grandfather lived in Stockton "for a time", but you should probably find out where he was born as his family may have come from elsewhere.

I had a quick look but couldn't see any Bevans on the 1851 census in the Middlesborough area, but I did not check for surname variations (I just wanted to find out if Bevan was a common name in the area which it does not seem to be).

All things being equal, it should be relatively easy to trace your Bevan line back a few generations to see how long they have lived in the area.

Added: keep in mind that there may not be headstones so unless you can find a plan of the cemetery which gives locations of burials, you might never find them. Babies may have been buried with someone else (unrelated) - it is not likely they would be buried alone and have a surviving headstone.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 May 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/search/search.php?search=Full name&forename=&surname=Bevan&order=country&county=&area=&scrwidth=1200

There are some Bevan headstones for Stockton on this link.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 May 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

David Bevan    38 - b Abergavenny
Elizabeth Bevan    31 - b Llandrillas [?] N Wales
William Bevan    7
Machel Bevan    5 [Rachel]
Elizabeth Bevan    3
David Bevan    1
Sarah Seklin    15 - servant
William Rees    23 - lodger

If the above is the correct family, then I can only find the one birth index record, the following from the GRO Index:

Bevan, William; March Qtr 1854; MMS Kensey; Stockton Reg Dist; Volume 10a Page 33.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Also

BAVIN, RACHEL    mmn    KENSAY        
Q4 1855 STOCKTON  Volume 10A  Page 35

BEVAN, ELIZABETH        mmn KILSEY      
Q4 1857 STOCKTON  Volume 10A  Page 47

BAVAN, DAVID        mmn KELSEY        
Q1 1860 STOCKTON  Volume 10A  Page 48

PLUS

BEVAN, JANES    mmn    KINSEY      
Q3 1852   PONTYPOOL  Volume 11A  Page 109

Elizabeth Kinsey married David Beavan in Pontypool district, 1848

But no guarantee this is the right family, despite some matching names

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 May 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Am I missing something here or have I got confused? If the child keyboard found:

Was David Samuel BEVINS 1855 Stockton him mmn Davison?
Keyboard

was the child who was buried as Daniel Samuel Bevins, that can't be the right family in the census, as his mother's maiden name was Davison, not Kensey.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
The thing is, we don't know which family the children were from. I found a Bevan family in the area in 1861, with small children David and Rachel, which might be connected, given the tendency to "reuse" the names of  deceased children.  DavidJP noted he could only find the birth registration if one of the children on that census - mmn Kensey - and I was posting the other ones, partly in the hope that I might be able to trace the children in the graveyard.  They did have a Jane about the right age, but again no guarantee.

similarly we can't know that Daniel Samuel Bevan on the gravestone is the same child as David Samuel bevins, mmn Davison, especially as again we cannot find siblings