Author Topic: Thomas Surtees of Whittonstall  (Read 3002 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Surtees of Whittonstall
« on: Monday 08 May 17 05:57 BST (UK) »
My partner descends from a Thomas Surtees who was baptised at Whittonstall, Northumberland, on 12 November 1786 as the son of another Thomas Surtees.

I believe this Thomas Surtees baptised 1786 is mentioned in the book "Records of the family of Surtees" that is available here: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/260486?availability=Family%20History%20Library

He is mentioned at page 142 (with a birth year of 1783) and using the information contained in that book can be traced back to the marriage of his grandfather Thomas Surtees and Mary Angus in 1704 at Bywell St Peter.

I am wondering how accurate the book is generally regarded as being and whether there is any corroborative evidence tracing Thomas Surtees baptised 1786 back to the 1704 marriage. I can find the mentioned marriages etc on IGI but without further evidence I'm not 100% sure of the link.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Surtees of Whittonstall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Interesting Thos Surtees was a church warden at Wittonstall
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
 can not vouch for the book as I have never read it,I tried to follow the link but can not open the book beyond the first pages

the bishops transcripts
Jane daughter of Thos Surtees of Wittonstall baptised March 16th 1773
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
can not vouch for the book as I have never read it,I tried to follow the link but can not open the book beyond the first pages

I got nosey and looked. It did, eventually, download for me but took a long time - despite the fact that I have a fairly decent download speed here.
If you want to try again, I'd suggest clicking and then going off to make a cuppa (and perhaps have time to make some scones to go with it!) and then come back to see.

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:45 BST (UK) »
hahahaha I like that idea Boo

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hey RoserAncestors

My good friend is currently heavily into researching her SURTEES family and I know this line is defo in it although she is not from the Bywell line but I think the Cronywell line.  She has mentioned this book so I will let you know her thoughts on it!

bitzar
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Can't see anything in the later Parish Records to contradict it.

Whittonstall :

1821. Buried 16 Sep, age 87, Thomas Surtees of Fell Close.
1815. Baptized 30 July, Mary, daughter of Thomas and Jane Surtees. Labouring Man, of Whittonstall.
1813. Baptized 28 Mar, Jane, daughter of Thomas and Jane Surtees. Labouring Man, of Whittonstall.
1812. Died 31 Jan, buried 2 Feb. Thomas Surtees, infant son of Thomas Surtees Junr, Labouring Man, of this parish, and his wife Jane, formerly Robson.
1810. Married 4 Nov, Thomas Surtees, of this parish, and Jane Robson, of Shotley.
1806. Died 12 Jan, buried 15 Jan. Jane Surtees, age 60, formerly Hunter, wife of Thomas Surtees, Labouring Man, of this parish.
1798. Baptized 5 May. Jane Harrison, 1st daughter of William Harrison, Blacksmith, Native of Hindley Steel, by his wife, Dorothy, daughter of Thomas Surtees, Native of Apperley.
1786. Baptized 12 Nov. Thomas, son of Thomas Surtees, of Whittonstall.
1783. Baptized 16 Mar. Jane, daughter of Thomas Surtees of Whittonstall.

Bywell St. Peter

1769. Baptized Aug 17. William, son of Thomas and Jane Surtees, of Apperley.
1768. Married 19 May, by banns. Thomas Surtees and Jane Hunter, both of this parish. Witnesses : James Hall, John Lishman, John Elliott and Matthew Bell.
1763. Buried 5 Sep. Sarah, wife of Thomas Surtees of Panshaw Field.
1763. Buried 7 Jan. Mary, widow of Thomas Surtees, of Panshaw Field.
1762. Buried 25 Nov. Thomas Surtees, of Panshaw Field.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 May 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
Banns of marriage between Wm Harrison and Dorothy Surtees
both of this chapelry were published in this chapel on the three following Sundays,that is to say,
on Sunday Oct 29th,Nov 5th & 12th by me J Brown Curate
Wm Harrison & Dorothy Surtees both of this chapelry were married in the chapel by  banns on this 18th Day of Nov 1797
by me J Brown Curate
image 20/157 of the Bishops Transcripts for Whittonstall

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 May 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
RA

My friend has found that the 'SURTEES family record' is accurate for what is written... BUT, there are whole lines missing as well as many daughters.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England