Author Topic: Help needed to decipher a will - 415 yrs old ?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to decipher a will - 415 yrs old ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
I'd considered it might be  a 'C' bookbox - but seeing the scribe's propensity for Secretary Hand curly capital letters, I thought a 'C' would have been of that ilk.  :)

Just shows how things can come out differently notaninch!

I had a name transcribed by two of the big sites as 'Dooley' once - turned out to be 'Peach'!

Here I would always bow to Bookbox's greater knowledge.

This is just what I needed Goldie and Bookbox. I was reading it as either Cowper or Cooper so we are in the same ball park Bookbox. I have conclusive proof now that John and William are related (the clue being the link to the Holland family, John's wife being Joan Holland). It also tells me along with parish register entries that William was the son of John and brother to Margaret and that William died young and unmarried. This is the crucial bit as many family trees claim this William was the father of 5 children - which he clearly was not. So he as far as I am concerned is eliminated from the direct line I am trying to trace. That means then I have to look at Wm Pennifather barton Under Needwood who died 1576. Ciderdrinker made a comment about him but I cannot find his will although it is mentioned on FindMyPast and Ancestry. Does ciderdrinker know something otherwise? Can you, he help point me in the right direction?

Many thanks for the excellent work and help goldie and bookbox

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
I'd considered it might be  a 'C' bookbox - but seeing the scribe's propensity for Secretary Hand curly capital letters, I thought a 'C' would have been of that ilk.  :)

Just shows how things can come out differently notaninch!

I had a name transcribed by two of the big sites as 'Dooley' once - turned out to be 'Peach'!

Here I would always bow to Bookbox's greater knowledge.

This is just what I needed Goldie and Bookbox. I was reading it as either Cowper or Cooper so we are in the same ball park Bookbox. I have conclusive proof now that John and William are related (the clue being the link to the Holland family, John's wife being Joan Holland). It also tells me along with parish register entries that William was the son of John and brother to Margaret and that William died young and unmarried. This is the crucial bit as many family trees claim this William was the father of 5 children - which he clearly was not. So he as far as I am concerned is eliminated from the direct line I am trying to trace. That means then I have to look at Wm Pennifather barton Under Needwood who died 1576. Ciderdrinker made a comment about him but I cannot find his will although it is mentioned on FindMyPast and Ancestry. Does ciderdrinker know something otherwise? Can you, he help point me in the right direction?

Many thanks for the excellent work and help goldie and bookbox
Bookbox it was indeed Alice Murcock. She appears in the parish register when buried on 30 March 1617. The strands are indeed beginning to build a bigger picture. So again thank you Goldie and Bookbox it helps to have your expertise to give me the assistance I'm needingto piece it all together.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 May 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
No I don't know anything you don't .I just put in William Pennyfather on FindMyPast and saw there was an earlier Will in 1576 but couldn't get the full thing to come up only the index.
I assumed he was a member of the same family and would tell you more.There were quite a few Wills for the parish in the 1500's when I had a closer look.
Just me being curious.
Forgive me

Ciderdrinker

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 May 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
saw there was an earlier Will in 1576 but couldn't get the full thing to come up only the index.

A pencil annotation suggests that this probate document (whatever it may be) was calendared as 1574, though indexed as 1576. Not all wills referenced in the index actually survive. You may want to contact the Lichfield Record Office to ask. This sort of general enquiry is normally answered free of charge.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 May 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
saw there was an earlier Will in 1576 but couldn't get the full thing to come up only the index.

A pencil annotation suggests that this probate document (whatever it may be) was calendared as 1574, though indexed as 1576. Not all wills referenced in the index actually survive. You may want to contact the Lichfield Record Office to ask. This sort of general enquiry is normally answered free of charge.

Yes I need his will so will contact LRO.  I believe William who died in 1584 at Barton-Under-Needwood will indexed 1576 was the uncle of William who died in 1602 and brother of John who died in 1598. As far as my original thread is concerned then this is closed. How do I get it CLOSED ? One last thank you Bookbox, Goldie61 and Ciderdrinker for taking the time to help me.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 May 17 14:18 BST (UK) »

Bookbox can you please help with the Latin translation of the burial of Wm Pennefather in 1610 - see attached. there is not a great deal but every bit helps. Thanks

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 May 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Not a burial, but an entry in the act book for the diocese of Lichfield, recording the grant of probate.

Testam(en)tu(m) Will(el)mi Penifather dum vixit R(e)c(t)oris de
Draycott defuncti per Joh(ann)a(m) eius relict(am) executr(icem)
iurat(am) coram Rolando Mewricke R(e)c(t)ore ib(ide)m

The will of William Penifather, deceased, whilst he lived Rector of Draycott, by Joan/Joanna, his relict (and) executrix, sworn before Roland Mewricke, Rector in the same place.

(The next line, beginning Apud Lich’, belongs to the following entry. For the date of this entry you’ll need to look higher up the page.)

ADDED -- here is his clerical career, in case you haven't seen it ...
http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayCcePerson.jsp?PersonID=31278

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 May 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Not a burial, but an entry in the act book for the diocese of Lichfield, recording the grant of probate.

Testam(en)tu(m) Will(el)mi Penifather dum vixit R(e)c(t)oris de
Draycott defuncti per Joh(ann)a(m) eius relict(am) executr(icem)
iurat(am) coram Rolando Mewricke R(e)c(t)ore ib(ide)m

The will of William Penifather, deceased, whilst he lived Rector of Draycott, by Joan/Joanna, his relict (and) executrix, sworn before Roland Mewricke, Rector in the same place.

(The next line, beginning Apud Lich’, belongs to the following entry. For the date of this entry you’ll need to look higher up the page.)

ADDED -- here is his clerical career, in case you haven't seen it ...
http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayCcePerson.jsp?PersonID=31278
Thanks Bookbox.   I feel this is yet another will I need to try and get hold of. I feel a trip to Lichfield may be imminent. Yes thanks for the heads up on the clerical database too. I believe this William is most likely a cousin of William who died 1602 at Barton. Too many William's but I think I've got a handle on it, just about. Cheers

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
I feel this is yet another will I need to try and get hold of.

This 1610 will (with inventory) is on FindMyPast, misindexed under Pennifuther of Drayton, but it's very badly damaged.