Author Topic: Appeal for Housewife 49 - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event  (Read 8740 times)

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Appeal for Housewife 49 - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 07:54 BST (UK) »
What a great idea. I didn't realise that Mass Observation was still taking place, I thought it was just something that started during WW2 and finished shortly afterwards. I shall certainly take part. :)
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
If you look at the link that River Tyne Lass put in her first post you will see that it gives some stats from last year and on the left had side it says

"Most of the diaries came from writers based in the Uk, but we also  received diaries from Spain,France,Italy,Switzerland and Kenya....."

With that in mind I'm sure you'd be able to e-mail then to the address provided. To hear from people in NZ and Australia too would, I'm sure, be of interest too. You could always ask the question by email fisrt if you're not sure.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: APPEAL FOR 'HOUSEWIFE 49' - 12th May Mass Observation 2017 diary day event
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for pointing this out to people that the website records that last year they received diary entries from people from other countries.  To me this suggests that overseas entries are welcome too.  I have emailed now about this question; when I get a response with an answer I will let you all know one way or the other.

Thank you to JackieMH and Greenvale and Ruskie for your much appreciated responses.  It is great to hear that you are on-board too about this idea, Greenvale!  I am really rooting for you both Ruskie and JackieMH, that it will turn out that it will be possible for you both too to take part!!😀

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have just had a very positive response to my email regarding the question about whether people from other countries can join in.  This was from someone who is involved with the project at the archive.

They write that whilst the focus has been on building a picture of Britain in the 21st century, they have previously included submissions from British nationals from overseas and on holiday.

I have been informed there is no system to filter out diaries from overseas and that "as such if anyone on RootsChat would like to participate they can".  I have been assured that the only diaries they are unable to accept are those which do not include the statement on their website which begins with "I donate my 12th May diary  .. Etc".  This is quite reasonable, as they need to be assured of your consent regarding this.

I have also been informed that their partners this year include South Korea, China and Sweden who will be collecting and preserving their own diaries.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL

Glad that you've had a positive response regarding people from countries outside the UK being accepted. I'm glad I looked at the information they gave and your proactive questioning!

Lets now hope that lots of folk read this and will also join in and write their diary up.

I see that there is an actual form provided to download for those that want to post the information to them, but presume as their details say to just put your info into a word document and send it as an attachment to their email address.

Its a pity that one can't read these diaries in months to come and that its just use to provide stats!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Thank you once again for your very helpful feedback.  I really appreciate hearing your comments.

I have emailed the person again at the archive who will be involved in the very important task of processing the diaries as they come in.  I asked them if they would look at my posting above to check that I have put things across properly (as I would not wish to mislead anyone by any possible misinterpretation of the response I received about whether people from other countries can participate).  Thankfully, they have responded back that I have written "fairly".

People may also find it helpful to know that this person has written that in response to a subsequent posting (no doubt yours Caroline) - diaries are made available quite quickly to researchers at the archive, as with their Directives sent out through the year; aimed between 3-4 months. 

They work extensively with schools, prisons, community groups and charities in the South-East of England, too.

Also, rather helpfully this person has clarified that regarding the format of diaries, there is no specified structure so these can be submitted within an email, as a word document or a pdf.

Judging from the prompt and helpful responses I have had from my enquiries at the archives, I would say that this bodes well for how our diary efforts will be treated. :) 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at the link (found the template etc), but I couldn't see anything about word count. Is there any guide as to the sort of length is acceptable- some people may write pages and pages - and others, just a few lines. Maybe it doesn't matter? :-\

Looking at the title I thought this was just for women, but I see on the form that you identify yourself as male or female, and add your age.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, the link tells people to "write as much as you can".  That gives you free rein really!   :D
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

I think it probably won't matter. However, I think this is a good point that you have made as I, for one, am the type of person who tends to write reams, once I get going.  So just to be on the safe side about this I have contacted the person at the archives again with this query.  I don't know what time they finish work at the archives so perhaps I may not get a reply until tomorrow.  I am working a 12 hour shift tomorrow so I may not be able to post their answer about this til quite late in the day.

Sorry, about the misunderstanding about who can apply.  Anyone can, whatever age or whether male or female.  When I wrote 'Housewife, 49' this was just meant as a play on words based on the superb drama of the same title.  In retrospect, I should have made things a bit clearer.  Hopefully, now through your post and my answer people will now realise that everyone is welcome to participate. :)

... Thanks, for your contribution, alpinecottage.  This is appreciated.  They might rue the day when they wrote "write as much as you can" when they receive my 'War and Peace' effort! :D ;)