Author Topic: McDowell - Downpatrick  (Read 1260 times)

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDowell - Downpatrick
« on: Monday 08 May 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Time to dust off one of my brickwalls ……

I have an eleanor mcdowell born according to her 1939  register entry  10 aug 1856 (downpatrick, County Down ireland).   she appears with her husband robert davidson (born Killough, county down ireland) and daughter annie in Warrington, Lancashire .

I have them in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census living at 5 chester street, douglas, Isle of man. Eleanor’s  birthdate for these 3 census indicate 1862, 1863 and 1862. However her death entry in 1941 indicates 1856 too.

They claim to have been married 27 years so around 1884. Their first child named Eleanor was born 1884 at 8  chester street. I have not been able to find a marrriage for them either in I.O.M. or Ireland. They are not listed in braddon, I.O.M.  directory of 1881/82.  Her husband and 9 children are fine . I have info on them but eleanor  senior is a mystery.

I have been trying to look sideways at her siblings. I knew from a relative that eleanor had a sister Jane who married a James Ennett and had 2 children, Cissie and Albert. I have no idea what cissie was short for?  Cissie went on to marry James ennett and had 3 children – Albert, Barbara and William. The remained on I.O. M as sometime during the WW2  years my relative visited Cissie there.

Also I have two other names that I think belong to Eleanor ... siblings??

1, Elizabeth mcdowell born 1866 Downpatrick. She has a daughter elizabeth McDowell who was born in march 1890 at howe farm, bradden which is the same address at which one of eleanor;s daughters died in 1889.  Elizabeth (junior)  died of pneumonia in Sept 1890 at 8 chester street which was eleanor’s address at that time. Elizabeth (senior) appears on the 1911 census in Douglas, Isle of man as a servant  and single.

2.  Sarah McDowell born around 1869. She had a daughter Sarah on  5 July 1898. This child died 03 sept 1898 at 5 chester street which is eleanor’s address at the time. I have no other sightings of her.

However researching these three siblings gets me no closer to discovering the names of their parents or where they were before or after the events given. Can anyone help??

As far as I know all the above were church of Ireland/ England not catholic.

many thanks.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McDowell - Downpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
I think you may have mixed up names here

I knew from a relative that eleanor had a sister Jane who married a James Ennett and had 2 children, Cissie and Albert. I have no idea what cissie was short for?  Cissie went on to marry James ennett and had 3 children – Albert, Barbara and William.

Or did the two sisters marry men with the same names?

Also Cissie is often just short for sister; can also be for Cecelia, Celia or Cicely
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
my mistake.    ::) sorry to confuse you

sister jane McDowell married john McMullen and had cissie and albert
daughter cissie McMullen married james ennett and had albert, Barbara and william

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Vronlady 
Its not much help to you but my Great Grandparents Samuel Ross and Eliza Curoe from Killough Co Down married in Bright Church of Ireland on 18th May 1873
their Best man was a William Pollock and Bridesmaid was Mary Jane Davidson
Best Regards
Gerald
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
thank you for that Gerald. Your family may not be related but they certainly were friends with mine.

William Pollock and Mary Jane Davidson married  09 October 1873.

I cannot actually work out where mary jane Davidson fits in but know she does somewhere as William and Mary Jane Pollock's son Arthur lives in killough with a davidson relation later in life when his mother dies.

Wish I could sort this lot out ???

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi vronlady, thanks for replying, isn't it a small world
Samuel and Eliza's Daughter Susan, my Grandmother married John Morgan from Bonecastle  Downpatrick
John's Father was called Arthur who Married an Ann Dobbins in Killough 1873
I have found a few Rosses but haven't  had any luck moving forward I posted a request here in Roots chat in case anyone can give me any clues of their whereabouts
Best regards
and good hunting
Gerald
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down