Author Topic: Alexander Heron Born 1887 StoneyKirk, Wigtown  (Read 1220 times)

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Heron Born 1887 StoneyKirk, Wigtown
« on: Monday 08 May 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi RootsChat... again  ;D

I've finally finished Isabella Heron's side with much success but her husband is quite the opposite. I have Isabella and Alexanders marriage certificate. They got married in December and he was age 24. I also have him on the 1911 census (recorded in April) and he is 23.

So it is safe to say that 1887 is an appropiate assumption for his birth year. On the census it also stated his birthplace as StoneyKirk, Wigtown and lastly on his marriage certificate it was listed his mother being Maggie. There was no father listed and his mother was in work as a farm servant but i cant find her on census.

Hope people can help me find him!

Thanks!!
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Heron Born 1887 StoneyKirk, Wigtown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

This might be a possibility.

There is an Alexr Heron in the 1891 census living with his grandparents Thomas and Martha in Ballantrae, Ayrshire . Alexr. is recorded  as born Stoneykirk aged 7 (so birth year 1883 or 1884). There is a birth record on SP for an Alexander Heron b Stoneykirk 1883.

Going back to the previous census in 1881 Thomas and Martha  Heronare living in Stoneykirk - they have a daughter Maggie (b 1858 Inch, Wigtownshire and showing as an outdoor worker.

Where was Alexander in 1911? (Cannot see him in 1901 but might be looking in the wrong place!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Just to add that I think Margaret (Maggie) Heron  noted in my previous post was the daughter of Thomas Heron and Martha Baird (birth 5 Feb 1855) - her age seems to vary in the censuses.

An Acy.tree has posted her marriage in Stoneykirk 12 Dec 1884 to John Paterson, a widower- her age is given as 28 and parents as above. In the 1901 census she has been transcribed as Margret Paterson and the family are living at Colonmell, Ayrshire and in 1891 as Maggie Patterson,living in Kirkmaiden.

Also worth looking at is the excellent Scottish Indexes site and in particular the record set " Sheriff Court Paternity Decrees" as there is the following entry

Pursuer : Margaret Heron or Paterson, wife of John Paterson (yearlyman and co pursuer), Airies, Kirkcolm.

Defender: Alexander Campbell, Farm servant with Mr John Agnew, Balscalloch, Kirkcolm.

Year of Childs Birth 1883
Year extract issued 1885

You have to pay to see the full record.

If this is correct I would expect to see a RCE attached to the birth of Alexander Heron in Stoneykirk in 1883.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
Just to add that I think Margaret (Maggie) Heron  noted in my previous post was the daughter of Thomas Heron and Martha Baird (birth 5 Feb 1855) - her age seems to vary in the censuses.

An Acy.tree has posted her marriage in Stoneykirk 12 Dec 1884 to John Paterson, a widower- her age is given as 28 and parents as above. In the 1901 census she has been transcribed as Margret Paterson and the family are living at Colonmell, Ayrshire and in 1891 as Maggie Patterson,living in Kirkmaiden.

Also worth looking at is the excellent Scottish Indexes site and in particular the record set " Sheriff Court Paternity Decrees" as there is the following entry

Pursuer : Margaret Heron or Paterson, wife of John Paterson (yearlyman and co pursuer), Airies, Kirkcolm.

Defender: Alexander Campbell, Farm servant with Mr John Agnew, Balscalloch, Kirkcolm.

Year of Childs Birth 1883
Year extract issued 1885

You have to pay to see the full record.

If this is correct I would expect to see a RCE attached to the birth of Alexander Heron in Stoneykirk in 1883.

William

Where do i go to see this record? and I wonder why she put her name on the marriage certificate as Maggie Heron instead of Maggie Paterson.

I found Alexander Heron on the 1911 census as a plougman in Achiltree? or something along the lines of that spelling.
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
The site is called "Scottish Indexes". Just google it. ( The owners are actually members of Rootschat with the user name Scottish Ancestry).

Have you found a death cert. for Alexander as that might have further detail about his mother?

Might the names of witnesses on his marriage cert. provide some clues?

The 1901 census has an entry for an Alexander Heron (transcribed as Weras on Ancy!) b 1883 and a cattleman in Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire. His place of birth is given as Ballantrae which would make a degree of sense if he was raised by his grandparents.

William

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 07:26 BST (UK) »
I wonder why she put her name on the marriage certificate as Maggie Heron instead of Maggie Paterson.
Because in Scots Law married women do not lose their maiden surnames. They are described in legal documents as xxx yyy or zzz, where xxx is their given name, yyy is their own surname and zzz is their husband's surname.

This is why you generally get the mother's own surname in baptism records, and why deaths of married women are indexed by both their surnames.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.