Author Topic: WOODMAN of ST Germans  (Read 1087 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WOODMAN of ST Germans
« on: Monday 08 May 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am attempting to unravel my WOODMAN family. My ancestress Elizabeth Woodman was bapt Sep 1752 in St Germans, and her siblings John, Richard, and Ann were baptised there or born in nearby Sheviock, too, to John and Ann WOODMAN.

I found only one John/Ann marriage in the right time period - Jan 1752 in Kelly, Devon - John WOODMAN and Ann TONKIN by banns, both otp. I can't find any children born to a John and Ann in that area immediately after the wedding, so I am thinking this may be my pair, but not positive.

I know John WOODMAN died in 1769 in Antony, Cornwall, where his daughter Elizabeth lived with her husband Wm BAWDEN. His age is not recorded from what I can tell and I can't find Ann's burial anywhere.

I found a baptism for John WOODMAN in 1729 in St Stephen in Brannel to John and Rachel (married as "Richard"), but that's very far from both St Germans/Antony and Kelly, Devon. I also found a baptism in 1723 in Sydenham of a John WOODMAN to a John and Susanna, but Susanna is not a name I have found further down this branch of my tree.

Not sure how to narrow things down, or what to think. Help is very appreciated!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WOODMAN of ST Germans
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
think you can rule out the one in St Stephen In Brannel as there's a baptism in St Stephen in Brannel to John in 1746.

Not all records survive from the period you're looking at and not all that do survive have been transcribed. There were Woodmans around in the Sheviock area previously. There's a John who has a daughter Dorothy baptised in St Stephens by Saltash in 1713; a Daniel Woodman who died in 1619 and was of Sheviock on his will; a John baptised 28 June 1725 in St Charles the Martyr, Plymouth, son of John & Willmott - John Woodman married Wilmot Roberts 13 April 1710 in St Stephens by Saltash.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WOODMAN of ST Germans
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks osprey, I had seen that baptism and Plymouth and now that you find the marriage so close by to Sheviock I think I should definitely dig deeper and figure out if there people are connected to me. My hesitation was that Wilmott is a name that appears nowhere else in my tree (John's only daughter was called Ann, but maybe for his wife/the baby's mother)?