Author Topic: John Windsor in Invercargill... who he!  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Windsor in Invercargill... who he!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

... currently looking to see if "travel" records are available for him.  ;D

Yes, I saw his death registration > August 1891 > 84 years - born ENG - occupation :  Dealer :

* Did he have children ?

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 03:16 BST (UK) »
Just further to what you found on electoral rolls, there were also entries in the "Otago Nominal Index" ... but I have to say the listings give no further information.  :(

The earliest entry though is > 1871-72 >  :

link >

http://marvin.otago.ac.nz/oni/basic.php

~  Lu

Offline Stavros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
John Windsor, a life of one of my four Van Diemen’s Land convict ancestors.
Sory posted large update cannot see how to delete  this last update (I meant to PM Lucy2)

Offline Helen Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 05:49 GMT (UK) »
John Windsor is also part of my family. His son, also John, was a meat preserver who I believe came to New Zealand to work for the New Zealand Meat Preserving Company, established in Woodlands, Invercargill area about 1869. I cannot prove this, as still trying to find information. He became the partner of Isabella Falconer nee Harrow. Isabella and her husband John Falconer and a young son James came to New Zealand  from Aberdeen Scotland before 1870. He was a tinsmith and possibly also worked for the Meat Preserving Company. Again I can find no information except that John and Isabella Falconer had a daughter born 1870 at Woodlands. I do not know the circumstances, but Isabella Falconer and John Windsor moved to Wellington New Zealand, then to Wanganui New Zealand,  They were the parents of my Grandmother Florence Windsor. The two children of Isabella and John Falconer, became part of the Windsor family. Isabella and John Windsor are buried in Karori cemetery, Wellington New Zealand

Offline Stavros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I had all but given up on locating you.
How are you connected to John Windsor senior if I can call him that?
I assume you saw my earlier comments. I only discovered my convict heritage in November 2016

"A Van Diemen's Land convict of mine, one John Windsor, has seemed to bob up in Invercargill briefly between 1874-1881. I found his move mentioned in his wife's death notice in Launceston in 1884 and then found just 3 electoral records for him but thus far not other NZ records for him. He died in Launceston in 1891.
Ann Windsor death:
 Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899)    Mon 16  Jun 1884
WINDSOR— On 15th June, at her residence, Charles-street, Ann, wife of Mr. John Windsor, of Invercargill (formerly of Launceston), in her 58th year, Invercargill and Melbourne papers please copy

Some ideas please of where else I may search?
I noted from Ann's funeral notice that John is said to be in Invercargill! I have found a JW in a Dee Street , Invercargill in 1874-1875 Census, in 1878 he is said to be in Section 4, block 19 Invercargill , and finally in 1881 he is described as a bellman in Invercargill. If i assume its ours as there is no other . I wonder what the story was . He died in Launceston in 1891 so what was he upto?

Ps just found a link in NZ to a lovely engraving of a bellman so its more like the definition I found online as bellman being like a town crier rather than the hotel bellhop: see http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/42603

Offline Helen Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 November 18 04:51 GMT (UK) »
I am also trying to find shipping records for John Snr and Jnr. John Jnr was a meat preserver. He married Isabella Falconer nee Harrow in New Zealand, and they are the parents of my Grandmother Florence Windsor. Isabella and John are buried in Karori Cemetery Wellington New Zealand.

Offline Stavros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 November 18 05:55 GMT (UK) »
John  Windsor senior was the most colourful of my 4 convicts. Lots of material re his crime in Stratford in company.
Sentenced to death, then life, and then free trip as convict to VDL. Caught in bed with his overseer's wife twice, which  got him hard labour on the treadmill and then on the road. 3 daughters and 4 sons, one of whom John is buried in Wellington so I assume we have the right family. I am stephen_barnett14 (thats an underscore) on Ancestry, do you have an account to another email i can send and invite to ? (And a tree I can see?) I noticed your questions years ago on Rootschat and have no idea if you have a tree. Have you done a DNA test, it was that which lead me to find out about my convict heritage.
My most uptodate  tree is Barnett Family with a date of 2018
 Ps Just tried to send John seniors prison record but file too big to send via Rootschat. I need your real email.

Offline Helen Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 November 18 06:10 GMT (UK) »
I have all the details about John Snr's record and shipping to Tasmania on "Georgiana". Have his marriage to Ann Nolan, but had no idea he came to New Zealand, as did his son John. Was sent all family details from a source in Tasmania. My problem now is trying to find shipping records to prove exactly when John Jnr  arrived in New Zealand. My family trees are not on-line. My email is (email address removed) Not too sure if it is supposed to be disclosed on this site, so see what happens.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 November 18 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi it is RootsChay policy NOT to post private email addresses you will need to use the Personal Message to do this
https://www.rootschat.com/help/profile05.php

Hit the modify button and delete the email addresses

Cheers Janette