Author Topic: William Barnard-Yorkshire  (Read 2565 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Barnard-Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 May 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
It is quite possible that William abandoned his wife and children in Yorkshire and moved to Lincolnshire where he had a bigamous marriage to Ann Brown in 1816, Bottesford.

There is a William Barnard (occ Publican age 50) & Ann Barnard 45 in Aughton in 1841
HO107/1216 Bk4 f6 p7
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 May 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
It is quite possible that William abandoned his wife and children in Yorkshire and moved to Lincolnshire where he had a bigamous marriage to Ann Brown in 1816, Bottesford.

There is a William Barnard (occ Publican age 50) & Ann Barnard 45 in Aughton in 1841
HO107/1216 Bk4 f6 p7

I saw that, he was a publican but apparently our William and Ann emigrated to Canada around 1830.
Their ages don't fit, in the census William 50, Ann 45 but when William and Ann Corney were married their ages were 21 and 23 only a 2 years difference.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 May 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
I was trying to discount the William and Ann who married in Aughton due to them still being resident there as OP's William left England in the 1830's.

William Barnard age 23 married Ann Corney age 21 on 25 Sep 1813.  By Sept 1840 - William would be 50 & Ann 48.  The 1841 rounds down ages to the nearest 5 which would tie in with the census I mentioned William 50 and Ann 45.  :-\

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 May 17 17:17 BST (UK) »

William Barnard was born approx. 1790-1792 . His gravestone says he was a Native of Yorkshire. He came to Canada with five of his six children approx. 1830-1831 and settled near Toronto, Canada.

I believe his wife's name was Ann, but unsure as to her last name, as there are several William Barnard's who married an Ann.

His children were:
1. Sarah Barnard born Bottesford, Lincolnshire 1817.
2. Elizabeth Barnard born May, 1819 in Cleatham, Lincolnshire
3. John Barnard, my 2x great grandfather born 1822 ?  Wrawby, Lincolnshire but cannot find his birth registration except for a baptism record for July, 1824
4. Eliza Barnard born January 1824 in Cleatham, Manton, Lincolnshire
5. George Barnard born June 27, 1826 Thornton-Curtis, Lincolnshire.
    Note: his obituary from Ontario Canada from 1911 says he was born in Lancashire, but I cannot find that.
6. Charles Barnard born 21 December, 1828 in Thornton-Curtis, Lincolnshire
-----all these children were born to parents William Barnard and Ann?

Another son, Amos Barnard was born in approx, 1832 in Ontario, Canada

John's baptism shows born Brigg, Lincolnshire bapt Wrawby 24 Jul 1824.  You won't get a birth registration for anyone before late 1837.  I am not convinced he is your John though as there is a marriage between a William Barnard and Ann Shaw in Wrawby in 1822.

Which one of the 6 children did not leave England  :-\

I suspect Georges obituary was just an error Lincolnshire/Lancashire similar with an accent  ;D

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
If Sarah who was born Bottesford is yours I think you should be considering the William Barnard/Ann Brown marriage at Bottesford

These are the signatures on the marriage document

Offline Donna at 401

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 May 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99, Thanks for your two postings. First I will answer that none of the 6 children born stayed in England, Sarah, Elizabeth, Eliza, John, George and Charles all came to Canada, but Amos, the 7th child, was born in Canada. As for John's baptism being July 1824, I think for some reason his baptism must have been delayed.  I have checked as many marriages by a William Barnard to an "Ann" that I could find, and I have seriously considered that it could have been Ann Brown, but not sure yet.  I do know that William had a half brother Thomas Barnard who could have been the witness, but I do not know who  "J Isabella Barn..ot?  is.... looks like its Barnard. The other theory I am looking into is the marriage to Ann Corney, but I am checking out the parish registers now to find their marriage and also checking out Thomas Barnard b. 1814 and William Barnard born 1815. Thanks so much for your help, will keep you posted on what I find out. Donna at 401

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 May 17 06:32 BST (UK) »
Been trying to find a possible birth for Ann Brown, (unfortunate family name).
The only one that may fit is ..

Ann Brown b 05 Mar 1798, baptised 02 Apr 1798. Brigg Lincolnshire, Independent.
Father John, mother Ann.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 May 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for clarifying that all six children went to Canada and not just 5 as you previously said.  I was hoping that odd one would give us a clue  ;D

As I mentioned I do not believe that the Wrawby baptism is your John his parents being William Barnard and Ann Shaw. That William Barnard died a few years after his son Johns birth, still in Wrawby.

As William Barnard/Ann Corney appear to have remained in England we now need to establish where the William who married Ann Brown came from.  At least your thoughts about this marriage appear to be correct  ;D

Offline Donna at 401

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 May 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi...I have been so torn on these very same issues, and since John Barnard is my 2x great gf, I really would like to locate his baptism. John was definitely older than his brother George, and George resided with John and his family until John passed away. As for Ann Brown, I have always thought she was William's wife, and had checked out the Parish registers. I will have free time today to check more deeply, and will let you know
If I find new information. But I also researched different Ann's wondering if one died, and he married another. There was a marriage by a William to Elizabeth Cross and baptism of son John, but this did not fit in with the siblings born later. I am confident I have the correct seven children because I was able to obtain a copy of William Barnard's will made shortly before he died in 1867, William owned several properties and also had a carpenter/carriage shop on his property here in Canada.
There is another Barnard family who have contacted me, and I am just telling you in case this might help provide a clue. There is a descendant of this one who lives only one hour from me. His name was John Barnard, born 29 July, 1799 in Spaldington, Howden, Yorkshire, so close to the area where my family was.
His father was Charles Barnard b.1773 d. 1815, Bubwith, Yorkshire. This John Barnard and his brother Joseph Barnard moved to Canada at a very young age. I have been trying to figure out the connection to my Barnard's in the hope it would provide answers for me. I hope you don't mind me throwing this information in on top of everything else, but I do think there must be a connection. Thanks again, take care,
Donna at 401