Author Topic: Petworth - Peter Haslett and/or John Ludby Emigration to North America  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Thomash853

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My name is Thomas (Tom) Haslett and I live in a suburb of Chicago, IL US. I am trying to pick up where my sister left off in her genealogy study of our family. She was able to trace our family back to a John Ludby who crossed from England to either Canada or the United States in 1819 most likely with his wife Ann, and 3 children, Sophia, Rachel and William. They ended up in Chicago in June, 1833. Peter Haslett arrived in Chicago somewhere around 1838-1843 and he married John Ludby's daughter Sophia. As vital records were destroyed in the Chicago Fire of 1871 we were not able to determine marriage date.

Based on names and dates/ages, I have a developed the hypothesis that both John Ludby and Peter Haslett were from Petworth. John arrived in the US prior to the Petworth Emigration in the 1830's to Canada, but it is very possible that Peter was part of this migration. There was a Peter Haslett that was part of that initiative and I am working with someone who has access to these records to potentially determine if Peter ultimately settled in Chicago.

I'd like to see if there is anyone on this forum who may have any information that could either support or rule out this hypothesis based on family history along with any specific information they may have or where I could turn to look for more detail.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide. Tom.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Petworth - Peter Haslett and/or John Ludby Emigration to North America
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.
There is a baptism in Petworth for John Ludby, son of Thomas and Matilda.  Born 2nd Jan and Baptised 15th March 1804.  The Sussex Marriage Index does not have a suitable marriage for him.  All John Ludby entries (only 6 of them) are prior to 1681.
Actually, looking at burials that particular child appears to have died age 3 in 1807 though you would need more detailed research to be sure.
Do you have any idea of occupations?    A Peter Haslett, shoemaker, and wife Ann are baptising children in Petworth in the 1820s.   There is a marriage for Peter Haslett to Ann Ludby in Petworth in 1816 so a good connection between the families there.  Baptism for their son Peter in Dec 1820.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Sophia, daughter Of John Ludby, grocer, and Ann was baptised in Petworth 23 Jan 1815.  His occupation is fishmonger for the baptisms of Rachel 1817 and William 1818.

Offline Thomash853

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 May 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. There is not a lot of information regarding Peter in Chicago records. In an 1843 Chicago City Directory, there is a Peter Haslett, occupation Laborer noted. Interestingly, however, there is a William Haslett, Shoemaker who is listed at the same address. In a City Directory for 1849-50 Peter is listed as a grocer. His last entry was in 1856-57 listing Peter as a carpenter. Seems he was a versatile guy! Do you know if Peter had a brother named William? By the way, the primary source document I started from is a State of Illinois Death Certificate for my ggrandfather, John Ludby Haslett who died in 1920 at age 80 which listed his parents as Peter Haslett, birthplace England and Sarah Ludby birthplace England. I am going to do some additional research on John Ludby in Chicago to see what I can find. Tom.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 May 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
William Haslett son of Peter and Ann was baptised 5th March 1819.  Peter is a shoemaker.
Other children are Frederick 1817, Ann 1822, Rachel Bird Haslett 1824, Jesse 1827 and Edward 1829.

Offline CW4Hutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 July 19 22:12 BST (UK) »
Good day!
In my linage I have a Great-Great Grandfather named William Haslett (b: 1818 England)of Cook County who was married to Ellen Theresa Murphy (n: 1816 Ireland). He immigrated to the US in very late 1841 or early 1842 with his wife following him in September 1842. There first child was named John Michel Haslett (b: 1842 3 days out of New York). John enlisted into the Union Army on 18 February, 1861. His enlistment papers show a guardian by the name of John Ludby. I wonder if this is the same individual you address in your original posting?

Hutch

Offline Thomash853

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 July 19 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I'd say the chances are very good there is a connection here.

There is a William Haslett in the 1850 US Census that is living in Joliet, Illinois with wife Ellen, born in Ireland, and a number of children, with a John born in New York. William is listed as a Soapmaker which is the business John Ludby was in.

Do you know who William's parents were and where they were from? Peter Haslett, my great great grandfather was born in 1820 to Peter and Ann Haslett in Petworth, Sussex, England. Ann was the brother of John Ludby. Peter came to Chicago sometime between 1836 and 1839 as part of the Petworth Emigration Scheme, I believe. He ended up marrying John Ludby's daughter Sarah in 1839. William Haslett, Peter's brother, came to the US in either 1834 or 1842 via New York (which matches your William) as part of the Petworth Emigration Scheme. This information comes from the Petworth Emigration Project website and the book Assisting Emigration to Upper Canada by the Petworth Emigration Project. There are several Williams that we are dealing with which makes things a bit more confusing. My Peter Haslett had a son named William R and according to the 1850 US census, your William also had a son named William who was 2 years old when the census was taken.

Does any of this match other evidence you have? I have attached a few documents that may help. Thanks for reaching out! I think we can both learn a lot about our family history with this. Tom.

PS. Are you from the UK or US?

Offline CW4Hutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 July 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon, Thomas!

Here is what I have:William Haslett b: 1818 (or before) in England; died 1 Mar 1866 in Democrat Township, Carroll, Indiana (death info no validated), Came to the United States prior to September 1842 (possibly Dec 1841, early 1842 based on birth of first child). Married Ellen Theresa Murphy (b: 1816 Dublin, Ireland) in 1840 +/-. 1850 US Census listed his occupation as "Soap & Candle Maker".

Ellen died on 01 July, 1860 in the Chicago, Ill area.

Children: John Michel Haslett (b: 23 Sep 1842 @ sea; d: 09 Nov 1907 Wadsworth, KS)
              Mary Haslett (b: 1843 +/- Chicago, Ill area; d: unk)
              Elizabeth Haslett (b: 1844 +/-; d: unk)
              Peter Haslett (b: 18 Sep 1847, Chicago, Ill area; d: unk)
              William Haslett (b: 1848 +/-; Ill; d: unk)
              Ann Haslett (b: between May & Jun 1850)

The 1860 US Census shows a Peter Haslett, 13, & Anna Haslett, 9, residing with the Thompson Chandler family. With their mother dying in July, 1860 it is possible that the father unable to care for the children placed them in foster care. Supported by the guardianship by John Ludby for John Michel Haslett when he enlisted in the US Army.

I wonder if there is a relationship between Peter Haslett & William Haslett? Brothers?

I currently reside in New Hanover County, NC. I was raised in the Kansas City, MO area (Independence, MO) and settled here in 1998 after receiving my doctorate from NCSU. My wife was working in Greenville, NC while I was at State but was offered a position better to her liking her in New Hanover so we moved here.

Be glad to share any information I have in my possession. I am writing a family history for both the William Haslett line & the John Hutchison (from Ireland) line (my maternal & paternal lines, respectively.)

I Have some info on a William Haslett of England that an aunt put together years ago but does not fully substantiate they are one & the same.

If it would assist us it our pursuits would be glad to correspond directly.

Have a nice weekend!

Hutch