Author Topic: George, a joiner in Oldham ....  (Read 1245 times)

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George, a joiner in Oldham ....
« on: Tuesday 09 May 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the father of three illegitimate children born to Mary Brindle in Oldham in 1862 (Isabella), 1865 (Mary Alice) and 1868 (Maria).  All surname Brindle.  The household features, for example, in the 1871 census at Piece 4099, Folio 71, Page 30.  The father description was left blank on their birth certificates and marriage certificates.  Mary describes herself as a widow in the 1871 and 1881 censuses, but there is no trace of a marriage to another Brindle.  The only clue I have is on Mary Alice's death certificate in 1884 where her occupation is described as daughter of George Brindle, joiner (deceased).  I strongly suspect that the "Brindle"is made up.  But maybe  there could be some substance to Christian name and profession?

I have already (in some desperation) gone through most of the Oldham census to try and find a George the joiner, and found only one - a George Thompson.  But since there were no links to the Brindle household  (eg neighbours, a link to the names Isabella, Maria etc)  this feels tenuous to say the least!  So I would welcome any thoughts on new lines to follow.  Might there, for example, be some record of a child support order that could shed some light?  I feel a brickwall coming up!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George, a joiner in Oldham ....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary in 1871 on that census ref is a Widow with parents William 70 and Margaret 68, plus the children you mention, in 1861 she is 20 Unmarried b Chorley with same parentage as surname BRINDLEY in Oldham
Census ref RG09/3016/105/33
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Clearly her father was not George Brindle and nor was her mother a widow.

George Brindle deaths between 1864 (just before Mary's birth) - March qtr 1871 are mainly made up of infants.  There is an 1865 death in Preston aged 27 and a 76yr old in 1870 Haslingden
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Indeed.  Almost certainly illegitimate.  I couldn't spot a suitable George Brindle either.  Hence my rather futile search for another George!  Do you know of any parish or court records that might give some clues?  She must surely have had some financial help for three children? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
1871 shows she was a factory worker and she possibly received money from the father/fathers on an unofficial basis

She may have applied for a bastardy order but I'm not sure about availability or location if they exist
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole.  Yes I suppose the support might have been voluntary and off the books.  Brick wall is looming!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
I don't envy you as potentially there are 3 brick walls. There is no guarantee the same person fathered all 3 children. 

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Well that has brightened my day!  But you are quite right. 
Maybe DNA will be the only route - though I am not a fan.  Is there any Oldham expert out there who knows of parish/court records for child support??

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

You could try emailing the local centre https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200539/archive_collections
Regards
Heywood