Author Topic: John Crothers of Gransha, Dromara, Co Down  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Crothers of Gransha, Dromara, Co Down
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Ah, so there was, though Conlig is a bit further afield I think?

Ok, unfortunately that’s as good as the image gets.  I wasn’t sure if I could post the whole thing for copyright reasons.  I’ll post the whole thing if you’ll let me.

As you say, it is a bit strangely filled in.  The order of the columns in the bit I posted is (condition) – (rank/profession) – (residence) – (father’s name).  So Eliza Crothers’ condition was “unmarried professional” and her rank/profession was filled in as “spinster”. 

I suppose there’s a possibility she was literally a spinster, but it may be just that the registrar had a funny way of filling in the form.  That then makes it seem slightly more likely that he might have filled in the father’s name as “widow John Crothers”?

The civil record says they were married at “Kilkinamurry in the parish of Garvaghy”.  The minister’s name could easily be read as “William Gray” but based on all the other evidence it must be “Craig”.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 May 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
I have not seen this before but is it possible they put in widow of John Crothers as parent of the bride?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 May 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
I have not seen this before but is it possible they put in widow of John Crothers as parent of the bride?

That was already mentioned by OP in reply #3...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!