Author Topic: Bowd family  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Islingtonfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowd family
« on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
Started looking around for family history to do with the bowds. All i know as far is that the past few generations have been from Islington London, though i have seen other bowds from Cambridgeshire in the 18/1900s. Several of the bowds have been called Jonathan and George. Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bowd family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=771238.new#new

Please do not post replies here - info already posted on L & M thread.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
As I established on the L & M thread that John Jeffreys Denison Bowd b 1908 at Islington was the son of Herbert Bowd who in 1911 gave his age as 32 and his birthplace as Cambridge Town, I'll continue with the Bowds on this thread now we've moved to Cambs.

Herbert Edwin Bowd's birth was registered in the Dec quarter 1879 in Cambridge registration district, mother's maiden name PAIN.

In 1891 Herbert Edwin Bowd, 11 b Cambridge was living in St Andrew the Less, Cambridge with parents James 60 b Boxworth Cambs and Susan 54 b Swavesey, and siblings George 31 b Boxworth, James 24 b Swavesey, Arthur 22 b Brougham Herts, Charles 20 b Cambridge, Walter 17 b Cambridge and Ernest Alfred 14 b Cambridge.

In 1861 James Bowd 29 b Boxworth, Susan Bowd wife 24 b Swavesey and son George 1 b Boxworth were living in Boxworth.

There's a marriage in St Ives, Hunts, registration district which includes Swavesey between Susan Pain and James Bond which I suspect is an enumeration error for Bowd (it's a common error). You need to purchase the marriage certificate to confirm this, and to get James' father's name. This is vital as I hit a road block at this point. Censuses show a James Bowd or Boud b 1831 in Boxworth, son of William and Ann. But there's no baptism other than on 18 Dec 1831(which fits perfectly) in Boxworth son of John and Ann. Is the parish register in error? I suspect it is, but it needs the marriage entry to give father's name which I hope is William.

Get over this hurdle and I go back to John Bowd born c1685

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage in St Ives, Hunts, registration district which includes Swavesey between Susan Pain and James Bond which I suspect is an enumeration error for Bowd (it's a common error). You need to purchase the marriage certificate to confirm this, and to get James' father's name. This is vital as I hit a road block at this point. Censuses show a James Bowd or Boud b 1831 in Boxworth, son of William and Ann. But there's no baptism other than on 18 Dec 1831(which fits perfectly) in Boxworth son of John and Ann. Is the parish register in error? I suspect it is, but it needs the marriage entry to give father's name which I hope is William.

Just found the marriage on the IGI at www.familysearch.org which was at Boxworth on 15 Aug 1858. James is transcribed as Boud rather than Bond as on the GRO and importantly his father is named as William.

So either the baptism on 18 Dec 1831 is wrong and rather than the parents being John and Ann it should be William and Ann, or there's another unbaptised James at about the same time, son of William and Ann. As William and Ann seem to have baptised all their other children promptly I favour the parish register being in error, but of course I can't prove it.

Still working on them

David
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
I don't think there can be any doubt. Herbert Edwin Bowd's birth registration gives his mother's maiden name as PAIN. The marriage of James Bowd and Susan Pain names his father as William. James age in censuses puts his birth as 1831/2 in Boxworth. He must be the son of William and Ann born 1831 and the baptism is in all likelihood his, with the parish register incorrectly naming his parents as John and Ann.

I'll pull out earlier generations of the Bowds in a while

David