Author Topic: *COMPLETED* John McLuskey b1867 Wishaw, Scotland, d 15 Mar 1922 Algoma, Ontario?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to find John McLuskey Cullen (brother of my g grandmother Rose Ann) born illegitimately 15 Nov 1867 in Cambusnethan, Wishaw, Lanark, Scotland to Rose Ann Cullen & reputed father John McLusky.

For ref: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=724457.msg5735466#msg5735466

I have been given a lead which I'm hoping can be followed up to find out if this is the same person.

John's sister Rose Ann used her reputed father's surname of McCluskey throughout life & it's possible brother John did likewise.

John's sister Rose Ann died in Toronto, Ontario 1946.

The lead is:

John  Mc Cluskie
Age 52
Born abt 1870
Born Scotland
Date of death 15 Mar 1922
Algoma, Ontario, Canada

I'm hoping someone can help me clarify or eliminate the above John please?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John McLuskey (variants) b 1867 Wishaw, Scotland, d 15 Mar 1922 Algoma, Ontario?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
The death reg. for the fellow you refer to is here:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6Q4Q-QM7?mode=g&i=1492&cc=1307826

His informant was stepson Daniel Buchanan.  His birthdate was 12 May (no year given)

The marriage registration (18 Dec 1902 Algoma)  for John McCluskey and Henrietta Buchanan (widow, nee McDonald) indicates that John's parents were John McCluskey and Henrietta Logan, which doesn't match the parents you are looking for. 

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: John McLuskey (variants) b 1867 Wishaw, Scotland, d 15 Mar 1922 Algoma, Ontario?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
At SP, there is a marriage for John McLuskey, son of John McLuskey (coal miner) and Rose Ann Cullen (subsequently married to Thomas Gunn) to Elizabeth McGrieve, daughter of Hugh McGrieve (coal miner) and Elizabeth Boyd on 8 Apr 1890 at the Roman Catholic Church Wishaw.

John and Elizabeth are on the 1891 Scotland census in Bothwell, Lanark.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
It looks like they are still in Wishaw on the 1901 census with Elizabeth listed as Lizzie. There are 3 children with them: Hugh (7), Patrick (5) and John (4).

On the 1911 census they are in Lochgelly, Fife as McLuskie. Sadly it says that Elizabeth had 10 children born alive but only 4 were still alive in 1911. They were Hugh (17), Patrick (14), Majory (probably supposed to be Marjory - 8 ) and Angus (3 - I think that's the name but it's difficult to read). John, Hugh and Patrick were listed as coal miners and the entire family was born in Wishaw.

Elizabeth McGrieve McLuskie died in Lochgelly on 2 Mar 1919. John was present to register her death.

If you would like a copy of the documents I looked at, please PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks bbart & Jacquie....quick work  ;)

Thought I'd get that one checked out 1st as it did seem a good possibility being as his sister had died in Ontario.

Jacquie,

Thanks for SP lead as I'd put this chap on the back burner!

Too many variations for McLusky & not knowing if he used Cullen or McLusky until a family member gave me the canadian lead.

You have the correct one, many thanks & PM on it's way.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"