Author Topic: Pilots. Trinity House of London.  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Pichona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pilots. Trinity House of London.
« on: Wednesday 10 May 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi!!!!! I have been tracing Andrew Grant ( my ggggrandfather), but I always come to a halt and I am very frustated with this.
What I know about him:
 1) He was a pilot.
 1) He married Margaret Humphrys Oct 1815 in the Parish of Saint George, Middlesex. They had 12 children and one of them was called Andrew Grant- born December 17th 1817, and he also was a pilot
 2 )He died May 31st 1848 in Stepney, Middlesex when he was 60 years old. ( I have a certified copy of his death)
 3) He was born between 1788 and 1791. I have some documents that say he was born in Scotland, but in 1841 Census transcription says born in Scotland, but in the original paper the letter looks like "I".

I have been trying to find Trinity House`s records, but it looks like that I have to go to London, and the problem is that I am in Argentina, and unfortunatelly I am not planning a trip to London.

My questions is: does somebody know a link where I can find documents from the Trinity House of London? Perhaps there is a register where I can find him and perhaps I can find his birthday and where he was from ( like I did with others mariners I have in my family with the Mariners Register Ticket)

I will be very thankfull if somebody can help me.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Pilots. Trinity House of London.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Marriage to Margaret Humphry was 30 August 1815 by Licence

Looking at the 1841 his country of birth is the same as a Robert Denham & Mary who are on the next page. In the 1851 they are both born Scotland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
There is a possible will on TNA website
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D130341
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pichona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
 Hi Rosie 99!!!!
Thank you very much!!!! I checked it up, and you are right about Scotland.
 About the will, I have alredy got it.
For years I have been tracing Andrew. I  checked up births in Scotland and there are 4-5 that could be him, but as I don`t know . his birth day or which part of Scotland he was from, I am completely stuck with him. I have a document of one of his grandchildren that says: Andrew Grant from Aberdeen...but I didn`t find him in Aberdeen.

Thanks again for your time!!!!!

Pichona

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find Trinity House`s records, but it looks like that I have to go to London, and the problem is that I am in Argentina, and unfortunatelly I am not planning a trip to London.

My questions is: does somebody know a link where I can find documents from the Trinity House of London?

Records of pilots licensed by Trinity House are at London Metropolitan Archives. This leaflet explains exactly what is available there.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/visitor-information/Documents/51-records-of-the-corporation-of-trinity-house.pdf

The records themselves are not online, except for the Calendars of Petitions (at FindMyPast), where he is not coming up. To see the registers or minutes you would have to use LMA's research service, or get someone to visit for you.

That said, the Trinity House pilots' records that I have used (mainly 1830s) do not give a place of birth.

Offline Pichona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox!!!!!!
So I will plan a trip to London...  Now I don`t have any friend going to London, and I can`t imagine them spending a day at LMA. Jajaja.
Thanks again

Pichona

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 May 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
You could try posting the full details of what you're looking for on the London/Middlesex lookup board ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/london-middlesex-lookup-requests/

Someone else who is planning to go to LMA may be able to help.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 May 17 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Pichona,

From the online catalogue of LMA, this appears to be the exact file that you want looked up:

Pilots' registers (London pilotage district) giving number of licence, name, age, address or place of residence, qualification, height, hair, complexion and occasionally scars, marks and tattoos.

Reference Code: CLC/526/MS30172/001

Level: File

Date: 1808 - 1855

Yes, you can do as Bookbox has suggested and ask for a look-up on the London/Middlesex board, but from personal experience, there are far more requests for look-ups at LMA, than there are volunteers to do them.

You may prefer to consider their paid research service. Yes, the minimum charge of 80 pound for one hour is intimidating, but I suspect that *both* your Andrews could be looked up within one hour.

This is the page for the research service:
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/family-history/Pages/paid-document-research-service.aspx

N.B. Be sure to check with them first as per their advice on that page. I have never been there myself - just searched their online catalogue.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Pichona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 May 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Bookbox and Westoe, thank you very much!!!!!
I will keep on looking for Andrew Grant. At least I have two more chances  to find him.

Cheers
Pichona