Author Topic: William Albert Swymer, B. Stepney, 3rd July 1885, Navy Records, D. Dartford 1965  (Read 819 times)

Offline Tisray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to this site so apologies for errors before I commit them.  ;)

I'm researching my grandfather, William Albert Swymer's navy career, which started July 1904.
I have found his navy record, his number was 229979 and it gives a detailed record of his service. (His dob is incorrect on this it should be 1885 not 1886)
I also have his CR1 Discharge Card which again gives many details.

On his navy record it gives logical dates of training (Northampton/Calliope) ships, shore (Pembroke II) bases & ships (Lancaster, Blenheim) he served on but after 20.5.09 it becomes a little confusing.

His record says "run 20.5.09 Queensferry" whilst serving on the Inflexible in 1909. From my research this means he deserted.
The next entry says "14.9.09 Recovered from desertion but not claimed for further service"
The last entry says "Removal of run approved. rule No L 4757/?
Can anyone throw any light on the removal of run rule stated above? and I presume the "not claimed for further service" means he wasn't forced to return to service?

But he then seems to rejoin on 22 Feb 1915 "for hostilities" and serves on the Sir John Moore from July '15 to Feb '19 at which point he is "demobbed".

So I presume this means he had a 6 year gap in serving.

On his CR1 discharge card it is written Ausonia 145970 13.9.23

The card is date stamped 6 Dec 1923. Does this mean he only served 3 months?
Also it says reason for discharge as - see 2/6 1st Issue.
Anyone know what this means?

At some time in his life he was admitted to a hospital (sanatorium I think) and died there and I wondered if his seaman career had any bearing on this fact.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Albert Swymer, B. Stepney, 3rd July 1885, Navy Records, D. Dartford 1965
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.

I don't think it says " Rule No L 4757 " . I read it as " Vide ( Latin for see ) N.L. 4757/21 ". I think this is referring to an entry in a Naval ledger where the details would have been logged. Looking through other records I can find entries such as " vide Sept 18 ledger ". This page explains about Run and its removal , although it does refer to 1913 Regulations ,so a bit later :
http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/KR&AI/Deserters.html

I'm sure others will be along to help shortly.

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tisray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info Christine, it has at least answered a couple of questions.
I don't suppose you know if there are naval ledgers on line ?
Ray

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I don't and I might be wrong in my interpretation of the reference. As no on else has responded I suggest you ask a moderator to move your post to the Armed Forces Board  where you may get more responses. Just click on " report to moderator " at the bottom right of your post and ask for the thread to be moved.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tisray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks Christine, told you I was a newbie  ::)

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Probably nothing online, but it might be worth contacting the archives at the National museum of the Royal Navy in Portsmouth.
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!