Author Topic: Menzies Road, Aberdeen  (Read 1523 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Menzies Road, Aberdeen
« on: Thursday 11 May 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
How can I find out if my family of Sutherlands were living at 77 Menzies Road, Nigg,Aberdeen in 1905 and early 1906,. ie Thomas, Jane and James Sutherland. Not sure if any electoral rolls have survived for those years.  Many thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Menzies Road, Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
1905 Valuation Roll -
Thomas Sutherland , tenant occupier , 77 Menzies Road , Aberdeen(shire).
(Scotlandspeople)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
thank you

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 May 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Menzies Road is in Torry, the former trawler port of Aberdeen, although officially it was in the parish of Nigg, Kincardineshire (which no longer exists, I believe). It was all trawlermen and their families there, including many who had moved from Fife. My grandmother's brother Alexander Cunningham and family lived at 79 Menzies Road in 1931, and his son Robert later lived at 59 Menzies Road.

My mother-in-law was English, from North Shields, and she had uncles who moved up to Torry before she was born, one living at 27 Menzies Road.

Harry

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 17 05:39 BST (UK) »
thank you for that.  Thomas Sutherland who was tenant of 77 Menzies Road was a marine engineer, and born in Greenock in 1865 appears to have lived in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Peterhead and eventually Grimsby where he died.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 17 07:54 BST (UK) »
the parish of Nigg, Kincardineshire (which no longer exists, I believe).
The traditional parishes have never been formally abolished as far as I am aware, so it still exists. However parishes are no longer much used other than for historical and genealogical research, and parish boundaries have not been shown on Ordnance Survey maps since the Landranger 1:50,000 map series was first published (in the 1980s?). They are still shown on the First Series 1:50,000 maps, which is why I have quite a large collection of older OS maps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, I often consult my Landranger maps for genealogical purposes, e.g. the location of farms. I know that parishes still exist, but I was meaning that Kincardineshire as a county seems to have been abolished. Everything north of Dundee seems to be Aberdeenshire these days. I've even seen "Banff, Aberdeenshire".

Harry

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I often consult my Landranger maps for genealogical purposes, e.g. the location of farms. I know that parishes still exist, but I was meaning that Kincardineshire as a county seems to have been abolished. Everything north of Dundee seems to be Aberdeenshire these days. I've even seen "Banff, Aberdeenshire".
Yes, all of the county of Kincardine and about a third of the county of Banff, including the parish and town of Banff, with the rural parts of the county of Aberdeen, now make up the so-called Aberdeenshire local authority area, which is not officially called a county. The other two thirds of the county of Banff plus most of the county of Moray now make up the so-called Moray local authority area.

I deeply deplore the reorganisation in 1975 and re-reorganisation in 1995 of local authority boundaries, because the new boundaries simply create confusion for historical researchers. They are only of use if you want to know where to look for archive material. Generally, I ignore them altogether and stick to using the historic counties. Much simpler!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.