Author Topic: Mary Cockfield, born around 1728, possibly in Welbourn.  (Read 2285 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Cockfield, born around 1728, possibly in Welbourn.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 May 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
Robin.... JOHN Rawding and Mary Cockfield were also my 6x great grandparents. Their marriage is here http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=520769&iid=183659

John Rawden was baptised at Leadenham 20th June 1737. He was the son of John and Ann Rawding.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 May 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Robin.... JOHN Rawding and Mary Cockfield were also my 6x great grandparents. Their marriage is here http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=520769&iid=183659

John Rawden was baptised at Leadenham 20th June 1737. He was the son of John and Ann Rawding.

Oh Wow!
That's really amazing. Thank you for this. Do you possibly have any dates regarding birth or deaths for John Rawden's parents, John and Ann please?  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 May 17 20:23 BST (UK) »

My 5x Great Grandparents were Thomas Rawdon (1764 - 1833), son of John, born 1737,and Mary Tindal (1768 - 1850). They married at Coleby, in 1787.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 May 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
"That's really amazing. Thank you for this. Do you possibly have any dates regarding birth or deaths for John Rawden's parents, John and Ann please?"
John Rawden baptised 27 Jan 1707 Carlton le Moorland father William
John Rawding burial 4 Sept  1776 Leadenham http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=543739&iid=414272

Ann Rawdin Burial 9 Jan 1769 Leadenham http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=543739&iid=414265

I come down through George (1769-1842) brother to your Thomas.
George married 17 May 1792 in Brant Broughton to Ann Pask and they had 9 children, their eldest child Mary (1792-1865) being my 4 x great grandmother.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 May 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
"That's really amazing. Thank you for this. Do you possibly have any dates regarding birth or deaths for John Rawden's parents, John and Ann please?"
John Rawden baptised 27 Jan 1707 Carlton le Moorland father William
John Rawding burial 4 Sept  1776 Leadenham http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=543739&iid=414272

Ann Rawdin Burial 9 Jan 1769 Leadenham http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=543739&iid=414265

I come down through George (1769-1842) brother to your Thomas.
George married 17 May 1792 in Brant Broughton to Ann Pask and they had 9 children, their eldest child Mary (1792-1865) being my 4 x great grandmother.

Thank you for this. I was looking on the internet, and I think I saw a tree somewhere with George Rawden on. I think it said that one of the Pask's descendants apparently played Rugby for Wales.  :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 May 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember- it was a while ago, so forgive me if I am wrong here-I tried to follow the line of Thomas Rawding and his wife Mary. But at the time there were 2 couples with the same names baptising children in different villages. So I didn't go any further with it.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 May 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember- it was a while ago, so forgive me if I am wrong here-I tried to follow the line of Thomas Rawding and his wife Mary. But at the time there were 2 couples with the same names baptising children in different villages. So I didn't go any further with it.

From what I have found out regarding Thomas:
He was baptised 25th of March 1764 in Welbourn, the son of John and Mary (nee Cockfield).
He married Mary Tindal (1768 - 1850), in Coleby, on the 26th of June 1787.
They had ten children all baptised in Coleby, between 1789 - 1808. Seven boys, and three girls. In amongst the ten, there were two John's. The first one I can't find a baptism for, but he died in Coleby, in 1801.  The second John, was their youngest son, baptised in 1808.

I am descended from Thomas, through their son, James Rawdon (1804 - 1885). He married Catherine Cooling (1808-1876) in Coleby, on the 2nd of September 1839.
Interestingly, I found out that Catherine Cooling was a twin, and was born illegitimate.
 But nearly eight weeks after Catherine was baptised, her Mother married Thomas Hilton senior.
Thomas Hilton senior was a Carpenter. He had previously been married, and had a son called Thomas, from this previous marriage. This Thomas junior was born in 1780, and he was a soldier in the Napoleonic wars, and served between 1809 - 1817, in the 2nd Battalion, 95th Regiment of Foot (The Rifle Brigade). He saw action in Portugal, Spain, France, and received a gunshot wound at the battle of Waterloo.This Thomas lived for another fifty years, and died in 1865 in Heckington.

Sorry if I digress, but I found that quite interesting. I have looked at many trees on "Ancestry" but none of the trees on Ancestry that I have seen (apart from mine that I have done on Thomas Hilton junior) give any reference to him being a soldier. But looking at his service records, and sources, including a notice for his death in the "Stamford Mercury", it could only have been that one Thomas Hilton, because everything fits.  But there are some strange Family Trees on "Ancestry": One has somebody being born 13 years after their Mother died, etc.

Now back to our Rawdons:

Thomas Rawdon, born 1764, was buried on the 16th of February 1833, in Coleby.
His Wife, Mary Rawdon (nee Tindal) was buried on the 7th of January 1850, in Coleby.
Now so far, regarding Thomas's son James (1804 - 1885), and Catherine I have only found out that they had one son, also called James (1840-1870). He was baptised in Coleby.
I think they might have had more children. But I have not got round to filling the rest in yet.
James senior, was buried in Coleby, in late 1885.
James junior, one of my 3x Great Grandad's, married Betsy Atkin, in Lincoln, in 1864.
They had two girls, and a boy. One of them was one of my 2x Great Grandmother's, Sarah Ann Rawdon (1865 -1948). She married William Gibson, in 1881.

Thank you.  :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Lots of lovely info there thank you. Private message sent.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 May 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
Lots of lovely info there thank you. Private message sent.

Thanks.  :)