Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 576 times)

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please
« on: Thursday 11 May 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

I'm really sorry if this seems a really silly thing to ask and I'm not exactly the brightest person.

I have been trying to locate my 4th great grandad Thomas Lamb and have been for the past few years. I have his marriage, all his children and his death which is 1821 in Lambeth, Surrey, his age at death being 32 giving his birth around 1789 and his occupation being Labourer. Its his birth i'm trying to locate.

Today I have been going through all the evidence on him that I have including the witnesses signed on the banns for his marriage but with no luck, however one thing that I have noticed that I hadn't before is that he signed the banns with his own signature, something that his wife and children didn't do on certificates as they always stated 'the mark of' (the Lambs were Hawkers and poor, some ending up in the workhouse).

Would Thomas signing with his own signature give a clue as to his upbringing and was educated. Again really sorry if it sounds stupid.

Ann :)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
If you are referring to the Thomas Lamb buried at Walworth 1821, its recorded in a non conformist register so I would search non conformist registers for his birth/baptism.

Were the children baptized C of E or non conformist? 

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
If you are referring to the Thomas Lamb buried at Walworth 1821, its recorded in a non conformist register so I would search non conformist registers for his birth/baptism.

Were the children baptized C of E or non conformist? 

Hi,

All his children were baptised C of E. One of his childrens burial (sarah) was recorded in the non conformist register on the same page as Thomas whereas the others who died young before were under C of E.

Ann