Author Topic: The John Smith conundrum  (Read 2360 times)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The John Smith conundrum
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 May 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Any useful addresses on marriage certificate?
They are being very difficult to pin down!

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline dread66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
So you have the 1869 marriage certificate?

What names witness, and what name/occupation for her father?

Hi Pauline,

The witnesses were Richard Patrick & Sarah Ann Patrick so no relations involved.

Her father is down as John Hockley (deceased) and his profession was Sargeant in the Bengal Fusiliers. I've tried tracking him through the military records but came up blank again.

Not really sure where to go next with this!

Thanks for your help
Dave

Offline dread66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
Any useful addresses on marriage certificate?
They are being very difficult to pin down!

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

The address for both is 16 Butcher Street which I assume is Portsea although I can't find anything on that either. I think they were moving around at that time as I have them on the 1871 census as lodgers in Milton military base, they were in Ireland in 1872 (birth of John James) so I guess they were moving around in between postings?

I also visited the NA and now have his military attestation and records which confirm the info I have regarding Hannah. If only I could find something on them before 1859!

And yes, the are proving to be a real pain tracking down!  ::)

Thanks again for your help
Dave

Offline PurpleScorpion76

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 January 20 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think we’re related.

Long story short, I’m also stuck, i have some information you have, looks like I might have a little more on some sections, but some of it doesn’t match. I’ve just asked the OH for some help deciphering this mystery, and low and behold he finds your post from over 2 years ago.

Anyway, this is what I have confirmed.

John James Smith marries Caroline Flello 1892. I have their marriage certificate, census information from 1901 and 1911. One of their children is my great grand father.

I too have struggled to confirm JJ Smith and his father, finding all kinds of maiden names to the children from Bunt, Carty and Taylor if I remember correctly. I’ve even started to create a notebook in the whole saga.

I have Jessie’s birth certificate, which I cannot confirm is the correct sibling because I cannot get the others. But I’m pretty confident it’s the right one to the census document because there only appears to be one Jessie born in that year. But It’s the Carty one.

JJ seems to have different years of birth as his marriage and census data conflicts. I also have him born in Dublin.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Nicky

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 January 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I actually really doubt that you'll get a better result from a professional genealogist than from the folk on here, who combine a great deal of experience, diligence and lateral thinking with a stubborn certainty that "it'll do... near enough" simply won't do!! Keep on slogging!
(At least you haven't the "John Smith" issue that bedevilled me for a few years on OH's ancestry - a "lady" had a child, probably wasn't married to the father, although the child took the father's surname, and both lady and child vanished! It eventually emerged, after years of dogged hunting, that child and Mum were living with a John Smith of their own.... only he was really a Mr Tomlinson, who had abandoned his wife and parents about 1870 to hop off with her, to become Mr & Mrs Smith until he finally died, when his younger son, born to them long after the son she brought to the marriage, had him buried under his real name and surname, and started to use that name himself, for the rest of his life.
Her son then wobbled between her real surname, Johnson, and the surname of his real father, for decades before he made up his mind, and his own children show evidence of use of both surnames!! Grrr!
Good luck!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)