Author Topic: Android phone contacts  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Android phone contacts
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 May 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
At the end of last year my old Android phone suddenly went completely dead. Took it to the store but even they couldn't do anything with it. I'd made the odd back-up but the previous one was a long while ago. So I got a new one, resigned to the fact that I'd lost all the stuff on my old phone. To my astonishment, as Pauline says, within 5 minutes all my apps, contacts, photos, etc. had been automatically downloaded 'from somewhere in the cloud' to my new phone!

It makes you wonder about 'data privacy' but I was delighted!

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 May 17 15:36 BST (UK) »

I always make sure I have saved my contacts to my sim if there is the option to do so, as well as on the phone.  That way if I use the sim in another phone my contacts are there. 

Glad you could get it all sorted out!!!
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 May 17 19:35 BST (UK) »

I always make sure I have saved my contacts to my sim if there is the option to do so, as well as on the phone.  That way if I use the sim in another phone my contacts are there. 

Glad you could get it all sorted out!!!

My contacts are saved to my sim, but I don't think it would fit the new phones that take micro-sims, or can they cut them down?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 May 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
The much smaller sim cards can be cut down with care, much better to take into a phone shop!
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:21 BST (UK) »

The newer sim cards here have both options, the micro sim contained in the "normal" sized one so it doesn't really matter what your phone needs.  You just press the micro sim out or use it as is!!
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)