Author Topic: Section VIII, Whaddon Hall & Bletchley Park  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Rosalinda Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Section VIII, Whaddon Hall & Bletchley Park
« on: Thursday 11 May 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my grandfather's WWII service but given his occupation we're hitting nothing but walls. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of any kind of records, diaries, etc, that may shed light, although I fear the Official Secrets Act might be in play.

My grandfather was Robert Wren Cree, born 1920 in Glasgow, and he joined the Royal Signals before being seconded to mi6 Section VIII, working at/around Bletchley Park, Whaddon Hall, Hanslope Park and Tattenhoe camp. Section VIII later became the Diplomatic Wireless Service and he stayed there until he retired. Bob died in 1988.

We know he was involved with covert surveillance in Europe, working under Edgar Harrison, radio operator for Winston Churchill. At some point he took a ship to the Azores, and later made a mysterious comment that he travelled with a very heavy box that took two men to lift. He was told to throw it over the side if the ship was boarded.  We presume it was some sort of radio equipment...?

We have his medals, which include the France and Germany Star, and, curiously, the Africa Star. We don't have a clue how he got these, although a recent anecdote has been uncovered that he once had to 'sit on his radio to keep the Gestapo from finding it when they raided his room'.

We've got all the books we can find on Bletchley Park and the wartime communications services, but we're no further forward. We've also requested his service records from the MoD, but given the above, we suspect it will be either heavily redacted or show only his short time in the Signals.

Grateful for anything at all that anyone can suggest!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Section VIII, Whaddon Hall & Bletchley Park
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Please see this link - although you have already applied for his service record

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosalinda Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks carole! ;D I'll try some of those.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosalinda,

You may have more information by now but I've only just spotted your post.

Have you tried contacting Bletchley Park itself? They hold some information down there and may be able to help. If you haven't already done so you can contact them through their website.

I don't know if you have seen it but your grandfather is named on their website:

https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/roll-of-honour/2144

Another way you might at least be able to find out about the type of work he was doing is to have a look at his unit's war diary. Some can be found on the national archives website but you might end up having to go to Kew and looking at the originals. I managed to get some information about one of my relatives that way.

Good luck,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline nailsea

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my grandfather's WWII service but given his occupation we're hitting nothing but walls. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of any kind of records, diaries, etc, that may shed light, although I fear the Official Secrets Act might be in play.

My grandfather was Robert Wren Cree, born 1920 in Glasgow, and he joined the Royal Signals before being seconded to mi6 Section VIII, working at/around Bletchley Park, Whaddon Hall, Hanslope Park and Tattenhoe camp. Section VIII later became the Diplomatic Wireless Service and he stayed there until he retired. Bob died in 1988.

We know he was involved with covert surveillance in Europe, working under Edgar Harrison, radio operator for Winston Churchill. At some point he took a ship to the Azores, and later made a mysterious comment that he travelled with a very heavy box that took two men to lift. He was told to throw it over the side if the ship was boarded.  We presume it was some sort of radio equipment...?

We have his medals, which include the France and Germany Star, and, curiously, the Africa Star. We don't have a clue how he got these, although a recent anecdote has been uncovered that he once had to 'sit on his radio to keep the Gestapo from finding it when they raided his room'.

We've got all the books we can find on Bletchley Park and the wartime communications services, but we're no further forward. We've also requested his service records from the MoD, but given the above, we suspect it will be either heavily redacted or show only his short time in the Signals.

Grateful for anything at all that anyone can suggest!

Hello, I can perhaps throw something into the mix here.  I chanced upon your request when I did one of my occasional searches for information about my own father's wartime adventures.

My late father also worked at Whaddon.  His wartime service records didn't tell us a great deal, but they did confirm that although he was apparently in the Royal Corps of Signals that was a 'cover' because he was really working within MI6.  (They were all 'enrolled' because having lots of healthy looking blokes rushing around in civvies  would be suspicious - which makes sense).  Two things tell us that he was in MI6.  The first one is that his service number starts with 2602 - a range reserved for that use.  The second one is that all of his service records are emphatically annotated "S.E. - N.P.A.F." which means 'Special Enlistment - Not Paid from Army Funds" - so bureacracy was well and alive even in the depths of the war.

However the MI6 tag is, in this context, very bad news indeed.  MI6 have a web site (which seems really odd to me, but no matter) and it's clear from it (and other contacts I have made) that they have an unbreakable policy to never release information about serving or former officers.  Zero.  End of the road.

The service record will likely tell you a bit about when and where he went, and sometimes the locations are good clues to what went on there.  But, sadly I've been at this dead end for some years.

Bletchley do have some records and the people there are universally wonderful and helpful, but in the end they too can only do so much.

I wish you every good luck in your endeavor.  One day perhaps they'll crack and release something even after 70 years, even with some redaction,  so perhaps you'll have better luck than I did!  If you do, let us know.

Good luck and all the best.