Author Topic: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 May 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Liviani,
I see you have Stronner in your tree.  My Grandmother was Susan Jane Stronner, born 1881 in Montrose.  She was the daughter of John Stronner (1854-1923) and Jane Dunn (1851-1890).
John Stronner was the son of David Stronner (1810-1886) and Susan Robert (1816-1883).

Does this fit in with your Stronners anywhere?

Jim

Hi Jim.

I will investigate more on my Stronners today. Most of mine that I know about were born in Inverkeilor, which isn't far from Montrose.

Some Stronners ended up in Dundee, but don't have a direct link yet.

I'll have a look in the next hour or so Jim and let you know what I can find.

It's an extremely uncommon name so I'd imagine there is a link somewhere, even if further back. From what I can see there are only ever a handful of Stronners in Scotland.

Jill
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 May 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Here is what I have in my tree for the Stronners.

My 4x great-grandmother is Elis(z)abeth Stronner b.1792 Inverkeilor.

She was the daughter of William Stronner and Agnes Fin(d)lay.

They also had the following children;

John b. 1784
Jean b. 1787     d. in infancy bef. 1790
William b. 1788
Jean b. 1790
Helen b. 1795

All were born Inverkeilor.

Their father William was the son of (I think) another William Stronner. No info on their mother.

Here are William Jr's siblings;

James  b. 1751
David   b. 1753
Elisabeth b. 1755
Robert  b. 1763

All born Inverkeilor again.

Potentially more children between Elisabeth and Robert (other than William) but don't appear to be registered.

As you can see most of my Stronner research is further back than what you have I will have to descend further down and see what I can find through the various male lines to see if I can get a match to any of yours.

Does anything there match with anything you have Jim? I'm not sure how far back you've gone with the Stronners. We could have a potential common ancestor if I finish off my branches.

Regards,

Jill.

EDIT:

John Stronner was the son of David Stronner (1810-1886) and Susan Robert (1816-1883).

I've done a search for all the David Stronner or Stroner 's born/baptised in Scotland between 1805 and 1815 and there are only two come up;

One baptised 1814 in Liff, Benvie & Invergowrie. Father David Stronner

the other baptised in Inverkeilor 1812. Parents; William Stronner and Jean Morris.

Could your David (1810-1886) be the 1812 David Stronner b. Inverkeilor?

I have a William Stronner b.1788 in Inverkeilor. This would fit with ages and could potentially be a match for your David's father?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again,

Jill.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 May 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
David Stronner was born in Dun according to what is on the 1881 census.  Dun is not far from both Montrose and inverkelior, so they could well be related.  Unfortunately, I don't know who his father was.

He married Susan Robert on 8th July 1837 in Arbuthnott, Kincardineshire.
As far as I've been able to make out from census records, they had the following children -
John, Helen, Robert, Wilemina, David, James & Lavinia.

John was born in Arbuthnott, and was a Shipwright in Montrose. He married Jane Dunn on 31st December 1873 in Montrose.
Their children were Susan Jane, David, Alexina & Robert.

That's really the total of my information for them, but as you say, Stronner is not exactly a common name, so I'm sure ther must be a link there somewhere.

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 May 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
David Stronner was born in Dun according to what is on the 1881 census.  Dun is not far from both Montrose and inverkelior, so they could well be related.  Unfortunately, I don't know who his father was.

As far as I've been able to make out from census records, they had the following children -

John was born in Arbuthnott, and was a Shipwright in Montrose. He married Jane Dunn on 31st December 1873 in Montrose.

That's really the total of my information for them, but as you say, Stronner is not exactly a common name, so I'm sure ther must be a link there somewhere.

Jim

Was just going to reply again having checked the censuses. I think your David is a different branch, there probably is a link as you say but I think that link happens a little too far back for us to check sadly.

Could be a generation back than what I have. It seems like the David born in Dun family potentially didn't register the baptisms/didn't have them baptised which makes things more difficult unfortunately.

I'll let you know if I find anything else though. The Stronners are a relatively new discovery for me so I may uncover more.

Jill
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 May 17 21:41 BST (UK) »

Jim

Was just going to reply again having checked the censuses. I think your David is a different branch, there probably is a link as you say but I think that link happens a little too far back for us to check sadly.

Could be a generation back than what I have. It seems like the David born in Dun family potentially didn't register the baptisms/didn't have them baptised which makes things more difficult unfortunately.

I'll let you know if I find anything else though. The Stronners are a relatively new discovery for me so I may uncover more.

Jill

Jill
You are probably right in that proving a link will be difficult.  Good luck with your searches, and I'll keep a lookout for any messages.

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline StrangeLittleGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few Stronners in my tree but mine seem to be more from the Arbroath/St Vigeans area. I'd love to see if they could all be tied together.

Vikki
Angus - Arbroath/St Vigeans/Dundee
Stronner
Mitchell
Bowman
Proctor
Gibson

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few Stronners in my tree but mine seem to be more from the Arbroath/St Vigeans area. I'd love to see if they could all be tied together.

Vikki

Hi Vikki.

I haven't done too much work on my Stronner line of late but here's what I have;

I've gotten back to a William Stronner who married an Agnes Fin(d)lay. They married in Brechin, Angus in 1783. Though I have a feeling that the Brechin is more to do with where Agnes came from rather than William given what I have found about the Stronners in Angus around this time.

This is their children that I have;

John b.1784 Inverkeilor
William b.1788 Inverkeilor
Jean b.1790 Inverkeilor
Elizabeth b.1792 Inverkeilor  (my 4x g-grandmother)
Helen b.1795 Inverkeilor

This is all I have on my Stronners at present. I'll be doing some more work on Elizabeth's siblings soon I think, so perhaps we can make a connection further down the line.

I did a search on SP to check for all Stron*r births in Scotland before 1800 and there were 2 pages worth.

The vast majority of births were located in Inverkeilor, there are a few in Perth and some in Fife (Crail, Kingsbarns, St Andrews) and a couple in Arbroath. I get the feeling that most of the Stronners stemmed initially from Inverkeilor and then spread out.

I wonder if anyone has access to George F. Black's book 'The Surnames of Scotland: Their Origin, Meaning and History'. I've found some interesting info about a surname in my tree (Cloudsley) from a snippet I found online from this book.

Jill
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline StrangeLittleGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill, thanks for your reply. I've been concentrating on the Stronners for way too long to be honest! Around 1000 people in my tree but these ones are the people I seem to keep coming back to.

I've found a few new people (spouses, children etc) just very recently, so I'm back on their trail again. I've not tied mine to the branch from outside of the Arbroath area just yet, but I'm hoping I can. I'll try to get their details posted here soon in the hope that we can possibly tie them together.

Vikki

Angus - Arbroath/St Vigeans/Dundee
Stronner
Mitchell
Bowman
Proctor
Gibson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has access to George F. Black's book 'The Surnames of Scotland: Their Origin, Meaning and History'. I've found some interesting info about a surname in my tree (Cloudsley) from a snippet I found online from this book.
I have a (rather batteredand rapidly disintergrating) copy. It says nothing about Stron(n)er but Black says that Strono may be a version of Stronach, an Aberdeenshire surname which is probably from the Gaelic 'sron', meaning 'nose', which is often anglicised as 'strone'.

I see that Black thinks that Cloudsley is of English origin, from Cloudesley in Sussex.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.