Author Topic: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Isabella Smith the third daughter of James Gibson? Now, would Smith be her middle name rather than her surname?
Yes, it would.

Isabella Smith Gibson married William Nicol in St Vigeans in 1856. The marriage certificate from SP should tell you all you want to know.

Yes this is definitely his daughter. Have just purchased the image of the marriage certificate. And it has her father as James Gibson, Occ - butler and mother as Elizabeth Gibson m.s Stronner.

She was 26 in March 1856 when she got married.

It's absolutely amazing that I've found this woman. If it wasn't for that newspaper entry I'd not have found her. Couldn't find her birth and she wasn't on any of the census records with the family previously. Thank you for the help, I had forgotten that this would be available post civil registration with further info.

Her occupation is a domestic servant.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
If she was 26 in March 1856, that means she was born 1829/30. She could be (probably is) the 12-year-old Isabell Gibson , female servant, in the household of Jessie Walker in Hill Street, Arbroath in the 1841 census.

If so, there must therefore be yet another daughter between Charles and Isabella. Allowing for twins this hypothetical daughter must be at least 12 and no more than 15 years old.

There are a dozen female servants with surname Gibson aged 12 to 15 in Angus in the 1841 census. The most likely-looking one is a 13-year-old Mary in Arbroath.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
If she was 26 in March 1856, that means she was born 1829/30. She could be (probably is) the 12-year-old Isabell Gibson , female servant, in the household of Jessie Walker in Hill Street, Arbroath in the 1841 census.

If so, there must therefore be yet another daughter between Charles and Isabella. Allowing for twins this hypothetical daughter must be at least 12 and no more than 15 years old.

There are a dozen female servants with surname Gibson aged 12 to 15 in Angus in the 1841 census. The most likely-looking one is a 13-year-old Mary in Arbroath.

Thank you Forfarian.

There is a Mary Gibson born 1826 in Maryton to James Gibson and Elizabeth Stronner. :)

Edit: Actually it's not Elizabeth Stronner, it's noted as Helen Stronner for some reason? Must be the same woman regardless? Stronner is not a very common name.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 May 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
I have just noticed from Isabella Smith Gibson and William Nicoll's marriage record that they were married under the "Forms of the Free Church of Scotland".

They were married by the Rev. Andrew Peebles, minister for the Free Church, Colliston.

Was this regarded as a "regular" or "irregular" marriage at the time?

Have also found this;

Source: http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/Angus/Friockheim.html

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 May 17 00:56 BST (UK) »
Turns out that William Nicoll and Isabella Gibson ended up in a pretty decent spot. Found them on various census. William remained a Blacksmith and in 1901 he was a 'Blacksmith and Heating engineer" and they were living at Briarlea, Barry Links, Carnoustie. The house is still there today. Have looked at it on google street view and it's a decent sized detached home. So they were pretty well off for the time really. Their sons ended up in what I would imagine pretty good jobs at the time.

William Nicoll b.1868 ended up as a Clerk in the Jute Trade and James Gibson Nicoll b.1870 ended up as in Inspector for Fire and Life insurance. Not bad given the servant history of the family!
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 May 17 03:38 BST (UK) »
It appears James Gibson's employer (Colliston House in 1851) was a benevolent man given his donations to the following from his estate when he passed away in the 1860s.

Just furthers my belief that he may have helped James' daughter Elisabeth with an education? Prior to George Robertson Chaplin's death in 1869 there are a few newspaper articles which state he has donated money to charitable organisations and educational systems while he was alive. He clearly was a man who was a strong advocate of education.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
I have just noticed from Isabella Smith Gibson and William Nicoll's marriage record that they were married under the "Forms of the Free Church of Scotland".
They were married by the Rev. Andrew Peebles, minister for the Free Church, Colliston.
Was this regarded as a "regular" or "irregular" marriage at the time?
Regular.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary Gibson born 1826 in Maryton to James Gibson and Elizabeth Stronner. :)
Edit: Actually it's not Elizabeth Stronner, it's noted as Helen Stronner for some reason? Must be the same woman regardless? Stronner is not a very common name.
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a mother's given name being wrong in the baptism registers.

You have the MI for corroboration.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 May 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Liviani,
I see you have Stronner in your tree.  My Grandmother was Susan Jane Stronner, born 1881 in Montrose.  She was the daughter of John Stronner (1854-1923) and Jane Dunn (1851-1890).
John Stronner was the son of David Stronner (1810-1886) and Susan Robert (1816-1883).

Does this fit in with your Stronners anywhere?

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner