Author Topic: U.K. - Burials and the reusing of old graves  (Read 771 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
U.K. - Burials and the reusing of old graves
« on: Friday 12 May 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Fascinating part of a programme on BBC 1 Rip off Britain this morning, just been on and available on iplayer for those who can access it. It was talking about the extra costs people have to pay for burials where the deceased is not a resident of the area, even if the family own the plot. This is apparently a widespread practice amongst councils. They pay less if they have only recently moved away eg to a nursing home, but clearly the burden of proof lies with the family so show the deceased was resident and should get a cheaper fee.
It then talked about the wider issue of lack of space nationally for burials and the reusing of old graves over 75 years old and is allowed in law in London and Scotland. They featured the City of London cemetery and how they do things.
If you are interested, watch the programme - it was the last item in the programme.
I thought others might have some opinions, experiences or comments. I'd be interested to know what other countries policies are on these issues too.
CF.
North East of England

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: U.K. - Burials and the reusing of old graves
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon, 

This subjecthas been brought up several times previously. I can't do a link but if you look just above your initial post there is a search box. Just put in "reusing old graves" and it will show you all the old threads. Quite a bit of reading but interesting how many differences there are between councils, churches etc.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)