Author Topic: Writing a book  (Read 1371 times)

Offline rhubarbrebbie22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Writing a book
« on: Friday 12 May 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
I am  thinking of writing some of my family history  into books. One idea is to do a book about ancestors who were in the war and their stories along with pictures of them and some war poetry I'll write. The other idea is a book about some of the more interesting characters in my family. Just not sure the way in which to write it up to make it interesting for people so any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated     

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a book
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
It depends really on the type of audience you are aiming for.  Family history is generally only really interesting to the specific family, or to the area in which the family lived, although admittedly there are some excellent family biographies in print which have succeeded.   

You also need to consider what kind of 'book' you want to create - whether it is intended to be a hard-copy book, or whether you would like to publish your stories as an e-book.  The latter is considerably easier, and doesn't involve trying to find a publisher or funding the printing costs.  Alternatively, you could get yourself a website and start adding family stories onto that, and invite friends and family to follow it.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am  thinking of writing some of my family history  into books. One idea is to do a book about ancestors who were in the war and their stories along with pictures of them and some war poetry I'll write. The other idea is a book about some of the more interesting characters in my family. Just not sure the way in which to write it up to make it interesting for people so any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated   

Hi rhubarb,

It is often said that "everybody has a book inside them". I think the truth is more like "everybody thinks that there is is a book inside them".

Not wanting to be cruel, but I suggest that you test the water first. Write a short poem - two to three stanzas. And write a short story, no more than one page A4. Post them both here. Then ask for critical review and feedback. Maybe a simple voting as well.
1 - not interested, or interesting,
2 - OK,
3 - tell me more.

Just a thought - could save you a lot of work and/or heartache.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Why not
When you have all the information.
This is what Research is about
Photos of pals before the War and pals during and after the war are a bonus ,for people still looking for Relatives.
Good Luck😊

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
My brother an I had the idea that we would write up our family history from all the information which we had gathered over about 30 years. However this was fraught with difficulties; one of the main problems was that we kept adding to the data and trying to decide what to include or leave out.

We eventually decided that we would concentrate on one aspect, that of the family building business which operated in the Midsomer Norton area from 1930 to the outbreak of the second war or just after.

Happily for us the local Radstock Museum have a magazine which is published three or four time a year and our condensed "family history" was published at te beginning of last year.

This exercise was quite manageable and successful judging by comments received.

I have also found that writing up on specific topics or personalities in the family is a more enjoyable exercise than trying for the "opus magnum".
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
Here's my suggestion:

Don't try to be formal or author-ish. Write in a natural, conversational style. When you've finished writing your first draft, read it out loud and see how it sounds.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
I've had 2 articles published about nana s bir the parents but would love to turn it into a book or 2 now I have so much more info
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
I can see why you might not find a publisher, but it would be a shame if your family history were to be lost. Have you thought of putting your info on a website, if there's not too much of it? It's not too difficult if it's mainly text with a few pictures, fancy graphics aren't needed. There might be few visitors - except people who've put your family names into a search!

This is my plan, anyway - finding time is the problem. There used to be a webspace facility at Rootschat, but I think it was withdrawn due to misuse by non-genealogists. Berlin Bob was the last person I was in touch with about this.

Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)