Author Topic: Curious Missing Relative in Pennsylvania  (Read 1503 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Curious Missing Relative in Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Seem to have reached standstill on this thread - whilst your waiting - there is a RAOGK volunteer for Lancaster County which might be worth a try to see if they can locate obituaries for you or a marriage/death record for Anna  - "Anybody with Lancaster County, PA questions"

https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/pennsylvania/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 May 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
...As far as I can tell, she was probably born out of wedlock to one of Hugh and Augusta's oldest six children given that she would have been born 1911-2. So the options would be:

• Edith McCall Wilson - born 1885, but married and with other children by 1903, so unlikely.
  • Harry John McCall - born 1888, never married and lived in the same house as Blossom until his death in 1931, but when asked on his WWI draft card if he had any dependents (including children under 12), he wrote "brothers and sisters."
  • Anna McCall - born 1890 and disappeared after the 1910 census. Unsure if died or married.
  • Lillian McCall Griffith - born 1892, but had married and had a daughter by 1914. If she was Blossom's mother, she didn't bring her daughter with her when she married and moved house. She lived quite close to her parents and witnessed her brother's death certificate in 1931, so I can't imagine it was a case of hiding a child from her husband.
  • Margaret (Margie) McCall - born 1895 and died single in 1919 of influenza and epilepsy.
  • George M McCall - born 1896 and lived in the same house as Blossom through 1930, but wrote "no" when asked if he had dependents on his WWI draft card.
The next sibling wasn't born until 1901, so these seem the only possible options. Does anyone have any idea how to narrow down which of these siblings Blossom might have belonged to?

Looking at the 1920 census, children also included:
Agnes M, age 16
Pauline G, age 14
Helen, age 10
Mary, age 10

According to the birth record for Mary McCall (12th birth) - the mother had 12 children, 11 were living in 1909 [Helen McCall was the 11th birth].  Yet, the above children (minus the one early death) only adds up to 10 children.   :-\  Who is the child who was still alive in 1909 yet not mentioned above?  Note:  Blossom had not yet been born, as of 1909 so she wasn't the "missing" name.  Hopefully, I did the math correctly.   ;)  ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Yet, the above children (minus the one early death) only adds up to 10 children.   :-\  Who is the child who was still alive in 1909 yet not mentioned above?

Lisa, I'm so sorry - I completely missed that there had been another response on this thread. You're absolutely right, though. I never noticed the number of children - the mystery thickens! And actually, it thickens further:

Helen and Mary were born in 1909 and were the 11 and 12th children, with one sibling listed as deceased.

I managed to find another one of the children - a Jennie that was born in 1907. She's listed as the 9th child, but I can't find any children born in 1908, or a death certificate for Jennie. The really strange part though is that Jennie says that she's the 9th birth and 7 are alive. So the real question is - who was this child that came back to life?