Author Topic: Agnes (Nan) Skilling  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes (Nan) Skilling
« on: Saturday 13 May 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out as much as I can about Agnes (Nan)Skilling. She was born 3 Jun 1884 in Cummertrees, Dumfriesshire. She married Matthew Martin Glendinning 5th Dec 1919 in Dumfriesshire. Matthew's occupation was given as gamekeeper. The only other thing I have discovered is that a Matthew Martin Glendinning was a gamekeeper in Berwickshire in 1930. This information was obtained from valuation rolls on Scotland's People. I am assuming it is the same Matthew Glendinning. However, I have been unable to find any death details for either Agnes or Matthew. Any help anyone can give will be very much appreciated.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes (Nan) Skilling
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this might be a son or other relative of the family:

According to old newspapers, tragically, a 20yr old Matthew Martin Glendinning died 3rd May 1949 from injuries received as result of a motor cycle accident a couple of days earlier. His brother, Robert, a policeman, discovered the accident. Both came from Mellerstain, Berwickshire.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the Agnes Glendinning aged 86yrs, who died in Earlston registration district in 1971? Other surname Skilling.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Just found the same -

There's an Agnes Glendinning/Skilling dying Earlston in 1971, aged 86. You'd have to order the cert. as it's outwith the 50 year limit.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
Further to above:

At http://www.glendinning.name/ancestry/dougfam/pafg29.htm#25270

Matthew Martin GLENDINNING (David GLENDINNING , William GLENDINNING , Adam GLENDINNING , Mary ELLIOT , Janet DOUGLAS , John ) was born in 1883 in Canonbie, Dumfries. He died on 18 Mar 1967 in Kelso and Smailholm, Roxburgh. He was buried 1 in Nenthorn, Berwick. Matthew was counted in a census in 1891 in Roberton, Selkirk. He was counted in a census in 1901 in Morebattle, Roxburgh. He was counted in a census in 1911 in Nenthorn, Berwick. He was employed as Shepherd. He served in the military Private in Machine Gun Corps in 1914/1919.

Matthew married Agnes SKILLING in 1919 in Dumfries, Dumfries. Agnes was born in 1883. She died on 21 May 1971 in Earlston, Berwick. She was buried in Nenthorn, Berwick.

They had the following children:

Matthew Martin GLENDINNING was born in 1928 in Nenthorn, Berwick. He died 3 May 1949 in Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland, England. He was buried in Nenthorn, Berwick. Matthew was employed as Motor Mechanic.

which, as can be seen, has death dates for both Matthew and Agnes, the latter matching the 1971 suggestion. This also confirms that the Matthew of the tragic accident, was indeed a son of the couple.

Obviously, you would need to cross check and satisfy yourself of the accuracy of the research at the site mentioned, but certainly it seems to be the couple you are asking about.

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. These certainly seem to be the people I am researching. I am most grateful for your interest.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Matthew M Glendinning recorded in Northumberland in 1949 age 20 ( Freebmd) Matthew Martin Glendinning born Nenthorn 1928 (Scotlandspeople)
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline BlythGlen66

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
Just came across your post. Are you still interested in Agnes Skilling? She was my paternal grandmother, although I was very young when she died. The information in the other posts in the thread is correct, but I can give you more background including photos, letters etc. Let me know.