Author Topic: Unknown page number in Birth records  (Read 2735 times)

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown page number in Birth records
« on: Saturday 13 May 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Wondering if someone could help me with regard to a page number on a birth listed under both Ancestry and Findmypast that I have never seen before.
It has an ancestor with a volume number 10a, however with a page number See M35.  On trying to enter this on the GRO website to obtain the birth cert, it comes up invalid page number.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Phil

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown page number in Birth records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Have you tried using the GRO index as a search - instead of ordering, click on the Search facility after you login and select births. Then put in the details that you know of. This should give you the correct ref.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, Gadget
Thanks for your help.
I did try that but the year I want is older than 1916 which the index appears to only go up to (1837-1916).
Cheers,
Phil

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Is it more recent than 50 years ago?

Otherwise (from the help pages)

Q4. If I don’t have the index reference number what will happen?

If you are unable to trace or do not have the index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st July 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) provided you have sufficient information to identify the entry. A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You should supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date, enter 01/01/YYYY and we will search the specified year and one year either side. If you do not provide an index reference number, your application will take up to 15 working days to process. There is a separate policy for events which have taken place in the last 50 years and full identifying information must be provided (see Q7 under “Important information on delivery times and policies.”)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Gadget
Thanks again for helping me out here  :D.
The birth date of the person I'm after is 1928. I have all the other information as Registration district, and county and mothers maiden name, so will try the GRO without the ref numbers and see what happens.
Cheers,
Phil

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
From what I can see the 'M35' refers to the birth being re-registered (for whatever reason) in March 1935 - try putting in the details of the person concerned and see if there is an entry in that quarter/year.  If there is, that will give you the new page number and you can order using the 1935 details and not that for 1928 i.e. order as 1935 not 1928.   (I remember this happening to me once - in this particular case the 're-registration' was because the mother - the informant - had stated her husband was the childs father when he had in fact been dead for many years and this was amended by her declaration at a later date).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Annette has just beaten me to it, but I'll post this anyway.

Sometimes an annotation like that is a cross-reference to some kind of re-registration or correction. In this case it looks like it could be referring you to March qtr 1935.

Where there is a second registration event, I've a feeling that even if you order using the original date and reference (if known) you might be sent a certificate for the later one, because that is deemed to be the correct version - unless, that is, you specifically ask for the first one.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dodger123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 May 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, Annette and ArthurK
Thank you so much for the information, very much appreciated. That has me even more determined to find out about this now. Will contact the GRO and see if I can get the both for comparison.
Again thanks for you help  ;D
Cheers,
Phil