Author Topic: Google verification code - what does it mean?  (Read 1694 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Google verification code - what does it mean?
« on: Saturday 13 May 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
While clearing the inbox on my mobile phone I came across a text from Google, which simply said "Your Google verification code is .....".  I do remember it arriving around the time I changed something in my Google account details (but can't remember what or why), but didn't understand the significance of it.  I've tried looking at explanations on Google, but honestly find them too incomprehensible - I'm not very computer-savvy.

Could anyone please explain in words of one syllable what this message signifies and what, if anything, I am supposed to do about it?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Google verification code - what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
It's part of what they refer to as 2 step verification for your Google account.

Either when adding your phone to the Google account or during changes to the security set up - in addition to using the password Google notify the phone number you have provided and supply a verification code - which has to be used within a certain time period - just to prove really that it is you making the changes and not someone trying to hack your account. The verification codes are temporary and re-issued each time they are needed and so don't need to be kept.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Falkym

Thanks for your reply.  My phone is very simple and primitive enough not to display the dates of messages (it's not a smartphone), but it's certainly a month or two since I received this message and I have done nothing about using the verification code.  Should I have done, and if so, what? Would it have been enough (hopefully) that I opened the message?

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry I appear to have partially misled you ----

I have just looked at the security set up for my own Google account - it would appear that Google have done away with the "secret question" part of the security system and instead use the verification code as well as your password and you would need both IF you have signed up for 2 step verification to sign into your account. (so they are not temporary as they are on other systems e.g. banks).

But if you haven't completed the verification process it would appear no harm no foul although and the single step security is still in play. To be on the safe side though I would  keep the verification code "just in case".

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Falkym.

I have noted the verification code and will now consider the 2 step verification business.  Most helpful.

Gill  :)