Author Topic: Jane Munroe birth about 1830 Scotland  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Munroe birth about 1830 Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
May is often used as a variant of Marjory/Marjorie/Margery.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 May 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
The 1861 death for May was correct -

May Munro married to George Munro, Crofter
 Dec 1861 3 am First  at Hilton of Tain
Parents - Roderick Munro, farmer and Jane Munro ms Munro. Both deceased.
Cause - consumption, no medical attention.
Informant - Roderick Munro, son, present.
Registered at Tain 2 Dec 1861

Think I'd  do some checking on the surnames if I were you  - seem quite a few Munros.  It's not uncommon for surnames to be confused.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 May 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
The census documents don't show a Roderick for some reason.  I have him born on or about JANUARY 21, 1836 based on his death record here in London.   Wondering if Roderick was a middle name or???

Roderick and Christy are buried with sister Jane in London, Ontario  along with Jane's husband  Samuel Pope, my 2nd great uncle.   Mary Munro is in same plot with her husband Alexander Small.   We know they lost one child Alexanderia Small b 1870 at 18 months and son Alexander at 2 years but no dates for Alexander.

We are unsure who was managing the cemetery plot after Samuel Pope passed but it seems most of the Munroe/Munro folks came to London, Ontario.  Christina/Christy was last to pass in 1931 and her death record lists mother as "Unknown" which is crossed out and Catherine Ross written in.  Notice a Mary Ross, 60, was living with family on the mentioned 1841 census.  Perhaps confusion by informant George Munroe(Nephew).  Nephew George shows up on several documents but I have not found him as yet

The marker spells the names Munroe as do most documents I have except Roderick's death which uses Munro.  Not unusual for sure.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
I found a Roderick in Easter Ross in the 1841 - aged 17* and an ag lab. It seemed a reasonable match but I've not taken notes on it. Will do a check and report back.

* 10 years or so older than stated in Ontario.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
I think the one I was thinking of in 1841 was with a family headed by a John Tolmie, aged 50 and living Ussie, Fodderty.  He is listed as aged 17 and born R&C. Also there is a Catherine Munro, aged 20. No other info as this is a transcription. Not yet found in 1851.

There are two other Munro families in the area with son called Roderick (b. 1825-29)  - John and Janet (1841, Tain) and John and Chirsty (1841 and 1851, Glenglass, Alness) - neither of them would be the one in Fodderty.  Both are showing in baptisms.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
Did Roderick marry?  I've found two possibles in 1861 ( a few months before he signed his mother's death cert) but both are married.   You say that he was buried with sister Jane, so not sure. What do Canadian censuses say?

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 May 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
The death record for Roderick lists him as single and a farmer.

Scotland's People shows a marriage for a George Munro and a May Munro 19/12/1828 in Tain.  Need to buy some credits once home tonight.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 August 19 22:13 BST (UK) »
Canadian Census documents have little on the family.  An 1871 Census has her birth as 1836.  The 1891 Census has a possible match but birth about 1841.  There are two children listed as neices named Small which should fit but maybe I have two Munro families in London, ON mixed.  However, many parts fit.  Her husband is a gardner and that matches the 1891 info.  11 Years seems like quite a difference.  His birth also off by about 14 years.

I found a Scotland marriage 19 Dec 1828 Tain, Ross and Cromarty, of a George Munro to a May Munro.

1828 would work for birth of first known child, Jane, about 1830.  Her birth date unconfirmed and based on Canadian documents

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 August 19 23:26 BST (UK) »
there is also a marriage bann in Alness 19 Dec 1828 for a George Munro and Marjory Munro
Margory and May were interchangeable this could mean one of them was living in Tain and the other Alness