Author Topic: Bright Surname  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Herself

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bright Surname
« on: Saturday 13 May 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Joseph Welch (ggrandfather) married Bridget Millerick, who was born in Ballynona North, Cloyne, Imogeela, County Cork.

Listed on Joseph Welch's death certificate (he emigrated to USA before 1869) are the names of his parents, Thomas Welch and Ellen Bright. Joseph was born in County Cork, about 1848.

Of course, Welch could also be Welsh, Walsh or Walch ... but what else could Bright be?

I've had no success in finding any of these either Joseph or Thomas Welch or Ellen Bright in County Cork ...or elsewhere, for that matter.

Thoughts?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bright Surname
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Why can't her surname be Bright? not all records are online but lots of hits for the surname Bright in County Cork in census, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Herself

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Well, her surname IS Bright ... but, often, names are spelled and pronounced different ways.

So my question really has to do with another way the surname could have been spelled.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
Brite

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Joseph Welch (ggrandfather) married Bridget Millerick, who was born in Ballynona North, Cloyne, Imogeela, County Cork.

Listed on Joseph Welch's death certificate (he emigrated to USA before 1869) are the names of his parents, Thomas Welch and Ellen Bright. Joseph was born in County Cork, about 1848.

Of course, Welch could also be Welsh, Walsh or Walch ... but what else could Bright be?

I've had no success in finding any of these either Joseph or Thomas Welch or Ellen Bright in County Cork ...or elsewhere, for that matter.

Thoughts?

Ref you post. Where did Joseph & Bridget marry? Do you have marriage record as it may give their fathers names.
I live adjacent to Ballynona North which is Midleton area & in 1853 there are land records for Michael Mellerick, Jeremiah Mellerick & Mary Mellerick in Ballynona.

Offline Herself

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
ballydw - I don't know where Joseph and Bridget were married. I've done searches for them on all the Ireland databases accessible to me (NLI, rootsweb.ie, etc.)

I know that Bridget's parents were Michael Millerick and Margaret FitzGibbon who were married in Ballynona on 23 Jan 1847.

They had three children: William J (b 1847), Bridget (b 1850) and Philip (b 1852) born at Cloyne, Imogeela. The family lived in Ballynona North during those years.

So I'm guessing that Bridget Millerick and James Welch met in or near Ballynona, but not knowing the customs of the time nor the lay of the land (I'm in the US), it's difficult for me to "guesstimate" what townland the Welch family may have come from.

I've not found the names of Joseph Welch's parents in any of these records.

Joseph's US death certificate names Thomas Welch and Ellen Bright as parents. However, I've search on many iterations of these names and have turned up nothing.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Ref Thomas Walsh & Ellen Bright. Parents of Joseph married to Bridget Mellerick.
Have searched extensively but cannot locate marriages for either couple.
From the Griffith Valuation records I conclude that the Mellericks & Fitzgibbons lived in proximity to each other in Ballynona North Parish of Dungourney Co Cork www.nationalarchives.ie

On investigating the Walsh side my conclusions are:
Again on the Griffith valuation records there are 4 entries for a Thomas Walsh in 1850 in Parish of Mogeely townland Kilcronat - (this place quiet near Ballynona)  Thomas was a tenant & Landlord being a Mrs Catherine Percival.  The Percivals were extensive landowners in Cork County & I feel it could be possible that Ellen Bright may have been in their employ & met with Thomas Walsh here.
From records I conclude that the Percivals & Bright surnames were of various denominations & not Roman Catholic so marriage of Thomas & Ellen may have taken place in another church not RC.
BRIGHT Surname:  www.nationalarchives.ie 1901 Census has 24 Entries for the name in Co Cork - 1911 Census has a John James Ashby b. UK wife Charlotte nee Bright who originated in Bandon Co Cork where most of the entries on Censuses are listed. Have searched various sources for Ellen Bright but it is possible she may have originated in UK . Rgds

Offline Herself

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 17 00:48 BST (UK) »
bllydw - Thank you SO much for the time that you've put into this. It is truly appreciated!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
bllydw - Thank you SO much for the time that you've put into this. It is truly appreciated!

Your welcome - shud I come across any relevant information I will let you know :)