Author Topic: Christina McIntyre b.1864. She completely disappears after 1884.  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McIntyre b.1864. She completely disappears after 1884.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Christina's last known location of Burghead I believe to be in the area of Moray, Elgin or Banffshire. Have never researched the location in my own tree so a little unfamiliar with that area as of now. I think "Grantown" is actually "Grantown on Spey". There does appear some overlap with Duthil, Elgin and Moray. Which can be confusing.
Indeed.

Burghead is in the parish of Duffus in the county of Moray aka Morayshire. In the 19th century Moray was officially known as the county of Elgin, or Elginshire, after its county town, Elgin, which is in the parish of Elgin. Fortunately the old name was restored by Act of Parliament in 1928, but when you come across a reference to 'Elgin' you have to look closer to see whether the reference is to the town, the parish or the county.

Grantown is indeed Grantown-on-Spey. It is in the parish of Cromdale Inverallan and Advie, most of which is in Moray but there is part of it in Inverness-shire. This parish was formed by the union of the three older parishes, hence the unwieldy name. It is often referred to as simply Cromdale for short. Grantown is in the part that was formerly the parish of Inverallan.

The parish of Duthil is in Inverness-shire, but it is next door, on the south-west, to Cromdale Inverallan and Advie.

The parish of Inveravon in the county of Banff aka Banffshire is next door to Cromdale Inverallan and Advie on the north.

You might find http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct useful for sorting out these and similar geographical conundrums.

Very helpful, thank you once again Forfarian. Much to work through, thankfully I love studying maps so this won't be a bore for me.  ;D

Jill.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Came across the following:

Dundee Courier 9th July 1890
Charge of Child Murder Near Aberfeldy
A woman named Christina Macintyre, aged about 33, residing at Ardtalnaig Lochtayside has been charged with the murder of her newly born child, a male, by cutting its throat.  Macintyre still lies at Ardtalnaid under the charge of the police.

The only other mention I can find is a file at the NAS reference JC26/1890/218 which has the trial papers from 2nd September 1890, her guilty plea and a sentence of 6 months imprisonment. 
I know the age is a few years out, but she wouldn't be the first to shave a few years off.  Unfortuately I am no where near the NAS so can't access the file for more personal details.
Probably not her as it is hardly an uncommon name, but it would account for her disappearance without her son in 1891.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 June 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
Came across the following:

Dundee Courier 9th July 1890
Charge of Child Murder Near Aberfeldy
A woman named Christina Macintyre, aged about 33, residing at Ardtalnaig Lochtayside has been charged with the murder of her newly born child, a male, by cutting its throat.  Macintyre still lies at Ardtalnaid under the charge of the police.

The only other mention I can find is a file at the NAS reference JC26/1890/218 which has the trial papers from 2nd September 1890, her guilty plea and a sentence of 6 months imprisonment. 
I know the age is a few years out, but she wouldn't be the first to shave a few years off.  Unfortuately I am no where near the NAS so can't access the file for more personal details.
Probably not her as it is hardly an uncommon name, but it would account for her disappearance without her son in 1891.

Thank for this, not had a chance to research this more yet, but will give me something to look at. Didn't consider the possible prison aspect, very good point to raise.

Thanks again,

Jill.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Bermadoobob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Christina McIntyre was my great grandmother and I have been researching her for many years - if Liviani would like to pm me I may have some further information for her - incidentally my aunt married into the Sherett family so would be interested to chat if possible.

Kind regards

Grant

McIntyre, Spearing, Stewart Laird, Munro