Author Topic: Christina McIntyre b.1864. She completely disappears after 1884.  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McIntyre b.1864. She completely disappears after 1884.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:28 BST (UK) »

Have you ruled out the Christina Grant born 1864 Duthil Inverness wife of Alexander Grant born 1874 Grantown Elgin, some of the names and places seem to fit. 

Have done a search for Alexander Grants marrying in the area from 1884 to 1910. The only one that seems to fit on Scotland's People with those names is a marriage between an Alexander Grant and Christina McFar Allan in Duthil in 1894. So these will be different people.

Scotland's people says that a Christina McIntyre marries a John McKay in Inverness in 1891 (yet another annoying name to research, I have one in my own tree, spelled in a variety of ways; Mackie, McKay, MacKay etc.). I think the only way is for the person I'm helping to order this image to confirm or rule out as the certificate will name both parties parents.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Yes see earlier post I think the wife of Alexander Grant is on previous census with sister Jemima Allen - parents James and Margaret.  Down as Tena on census  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Yes see earlier post I think the wife of Alexander Grant is on previous census with sister Jemima Allen - parents James and Margaret.  Down as Tena on census  :)

Thanks for this, I'd missed this earlier. : )

Jill
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
She could still be the one that marries John McKay so good advice to view that one and rule in or out.

I have a missing person myself so can totally empathise how frustrating it is trying to find them.

Have to go out now but good luck  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
She could still be the one that marries John McKay so good advice to view that one and rule in or out.

I have a missing person myself so can totally empathise how frustrating it is trying to find them.

Have to go out now but good luck  :)

Many thanks for the advice.

The person I'm helping is abroad for the next few days so may be a bit of a delay in hearing back from them. I may just order the image myself to confirm this, I'm getting frustrated on their behalf.  ;D

Thanks again,

Jill
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 May 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
If she was illegitimate how is she using her fathers name throughout even for her own child instead of McBain  ???
It's very common for an illegitimate child to be known by its father's name. There were no hard and fast rules about what surname you used.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 June 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
I just looked at the martiage to john mckay for you. It lists christinas parents as malcolm mcintyre a master mason and catherine nixon. Address is innes street inverness so looks like not same person :(
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 04:42 BST (UK) »
I just looked at the martiage to john mckay for you. It lists christinas parents as malcolm mcintyre a master mason and catherine nixon. Address is innes street inverness so looks like not same person :(

Many thanks for checking this for me. Have her ruled out. Another one down! Though, I am feeling that this one is a lost cause. Very common name making it doubly difficult to track her down. May be time to put her to bed so to speak.

Regards,

Jill.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
Christina's last known location of Burghead I believe to be in the area of Moray, Elgin or Banffshire. Have never researched the location in my own tree so a little unfamiliar with that area as of now. I think "Grantown" is actually "Grantown on Spey". There does appear some overlap with Duthil, Elgin and Moray. Which can be confusing.
Indeed.

Burghead is in the parish of Duffus in the county of Moray aka Morayshire. In the 19th century Moray was officially known as the county of Elgin, or Elginshire, after its county town, Elgin, which is in the parish of Elgin. Fortunately the old name was restored by Act of Parliament in 1928, but when you come across a reference to 'Elgin' you have to look closer to see whether the reference is to the town, the parish or the county.

Grantown is indeed Grantown-on-Spey. It is in the parish of Cromdale Inverallan and Advie, most of which is in Moray but there is part of it in Inverness-shire. This parish was formed by the union of the three older parishes, hence the unwieldy name. It is often referred to as simply Cromdale for short. Grantown is in the part that was formerly the parish of Inverallan.

The parish of Duthil is in Inverness-shire, but it is next door, on the south-west, to Cromdale Inverallan and Advie.

The parish of Inveravon in the county of Banff aka Banffshire is next door to Cromdale Inverallan and Advie on the north.

You might find http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct useful for sorting out these and similar geographical conundrums.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.