Author Topic: William Gibson b.1928  (Read 2502 times)

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Gibson b.1928
« on: Sunday 14 May 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Taking advice from another topic (see link below), I am posting regarding information concerning William Gibson. I have a marriage certificate for him. He married Joyce May Threlfall in Southport, England on 31st March 1951. He was aged 22, and she was aged 25. Both are described as bachelor and spinster respectively. William was living at 3, Glenrose Terrace, Southport and was a Machinist (knitting factory). His father was William Gibson (deceased) and his father's occupation was Bricklayer (journeyman).

Joyce was living 135 Milton Street, Southport and was a Power Machinist (knitting factory). maybe they both worked in the same factory? Her father was Joseph Threlfall (also deceased) and he was a Master Painter and Decorator.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769377.0

Information which other people have kindly found suggests that William was born in Monreal, Canada, and passenger lists suggests he was 7 in 1935, and his parents were William Gibson (aged 49) and Margaret Ellen Gibson (aged 48). All in the family (except William) were born in England.

This dates William as being born circa1928 but my knowledge of Canadian bmd's are next to useless as I've never had to search in this area before.

Can someone please advise how I would find his birth records?
Name Interests: Holland, Marshall, Townrow, Taylor.

Townrow Family Tree - http://townrowfamilytree.weebly.com
Football Researchers - http://footballresearches.weebly.com/index.html
Sheffield United - www.blades-mad.co.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Gibson b.1928
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Civil registration did not begin in Quebec until about 1994 (yes!) so you will be looking for a baptism record. These are available in the Drouin Collection through Ancestry. You would need a Canadian or World subscription to access the record images. If you don't have either, your local public library may subscribe to Ancestry Library Edition which would also provide access to the records.

Having said all that, I haven't been able to find a baptism for William at the moment. It is always possible that they didn't realize they needed to take him to a church for a baptism, given that their daughters were born and presumably registered in England at a registry office.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
Civil registration did not begin in Quebec until about 1994 (yes!) so you will be looking for a baptism record. These are available in the Drouin Collection through Ancestry. You would need a Canadian or World subscription to access the record images. If you don't have either, your local public library may subscribe to Ancestry Library Edition which would also provide access to the records.

Having said all that, I haven't been able to find a baptism for William at the moment. It is always possible that they didn't realize they needed to take him to a church for a baptism, given that their daughters were born and presumably registered in England at a registry office.

PB

Well, you learn something new everyday - whilst not positive in my research, I certainly wasn't aware that they didn't record this until 1994, and as you said, maybe they wasn't aware that they had to go to church with the parents (and the other children), being born in England.

Maybe my next port of research would be to find a marriage for William and Margaret - I can only assume that it took place in the UK.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
I think FreeBMD has a marriage in 1910ish, Wigan RD. It looks like they may also have had a son Thomas b 1911. There is a child of that name registered in the same district as the girls (assuming I have the correct daughters). If he was their son, he must have died before they came to Canada.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
I think FreeBMD has a marriage in 1910ish, Wigan RD. It looks like they may also have had a son Thomas b 1911. There is a child of that name registered in the same district as the girls (assuming I have the correct daughters). If he was their son, he must have died before they came to Canada.

PB

I have had a little look into this. I found a marriage in Q2 1910 in Wigan of William Gibson to Margaret Ellen Kennedy. I am going to assume that this is the same one you found?

Also I have a passenger list from 1935 from Canada to Liverpool - it sates that they were living in Canada between 1920 & 1935. As well as William and Margaret there are 3 children; William Thomas, Cecillia Ann and Winifred. As previously stated William was the only one born in Canada.

I have searched the BMD records for the two daughters, and I have concluded that Cecilliia was actually Annie C Gibson (b. Q1 1915, Wigan) - both have name Kennedy as mothers maiden name. I was unable to find any more but records wouldn't show maiden names before 1911. Maybe Annie didn't like her name much so changed it un/officially to Cecillia (prob her middle name)?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
From your other post
You really need that marriage for William to prove his fathers name.  ::)

Marriage for the couple on the 1934/5 passenger list
Marriages Jun 1910 
William Gibson       
Margaret Ellen   Kennedy    
Wigan    8c   193

Probably Cecilia Ann   ::)
Birth March qtr 1915   
Annie C Gibson - mmn Kennedy   
Wigan    8c   329

Births Dec qtr 1916
Winifred Gibson - mmn Kennedy   
Wigan    8c   237
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
From your other post
You really need that marriage for William to prove his fathers name.  ::)

Marriage for the couple on the 1934/5 passenger list
Marriages Jun 1910 
William Gibson       
Margaret Ellen   Kennedy    
Wigan    8c   193

Probably Cecilia Ann   ::)
Birth March qtr 1915   
Annie C Gibson - mmn Kennedy   
Wigan    8c   329

Births Dec qtr 1916
Winifred Gibson - mmn Kennedy   
Wigan    8c   237

Of course, I had forgotten about that.

I also forgot to mention that in this passenger list, as part of the travel arrangements each person must list a relative in England. William (father) lists his sister Mrs Clift, 39 Curzon/Curton Road, Southport, and Margaret and the children list her brother John Kennedy, 37 Gladville Road, Aigburth, Liverpool.

Even without the marriage, this confirms Margaret's maiden name :)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
The following may or may not be of help:

Border Crossing from Canada to U.S.
William Gibson, age 55, married, Bricklayer, 5'5", blue eyes, born Lancashire, Eng
Nearest relative (in Canada): wife, Margaret Gibson, 422 Gordon Avenue, Verdun, P.Q.
Final Destination: New York, NY
Had been in the U.S. 3/23/13
Joining: Cousin, James Johnson, 204 W14 St (length of stay not recorded)
Arrived: February 1924

1923-1924 Montreal Directory
Wm Gibson, bricklayer   422 Gordon av  Verdun
http://bibnum2.banq.qc.ca/bna/lovell/

Skipping ahead (not looking at directories between 1923-1929), possibly the same man?
1930 Montreal Directory
William Gibson, bricklayer   453 First av  Verdun

There is also an ocean arrival for a Margaret Gibson, April 1920, port of arrival Saint John, New Brunswick
Margaret Gibson, born Ashton, Wigan?
Fair complexion, grey eyes, brown hair.  The height is a bit oddly written - it looks like "6-7-"  perhaps it is in inches?
Religion: R.C. ?
Nearest relative (in this case, in England): Sister Mary Kennedy, Lyland?? Rd Southport
Signature looks like Margaret E? Gibson
Her address looks like 1537 Bantaline??, Verdun, Montreal
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 May 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I believe that is the marriage I found.

Births Sep qtr 1911
Thomas Gibson mmn Kennedy
Wigan 8c 273

This is the other possible child I found. There are 2 or 3 deaths that could match this birth.

PB

Added: the GRO index has Cecilia as Annie Cecilia.