Author Topic: Merchant Navy - William O'Toole b Middlesbrough 1904. Died Grimsby 1972?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have found three Merchant Navy records for William O'Toole born in Middlesbrough on 1 May 1904 (although some records state 1903), but whilst I think they tell me he enlisted in 1919 & was discharged in 1938 in Grimsby, there doesn't seem to be a lot of other detail.

I am completely new to these records so any assistance in understanding what they mean and where I might find any other information would be much appreciated.

There is someone with the same name & DoB in Grimsby in 1939, although the initials VP have also been added later.  This leads me to believe he is the William Vincent Peter O'Toole who died in Grimsby in 1972, although as no-one by that name appears in any other records I'm fairly optimistic that he's my man.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - William O'Toole b Middlesbrough 1904. Died Grimsby 1972?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
The William Vincent P O'Toole who died in 1972 Grimsby, his DOB was 1st May 1905, the William O'Toole you have stated in 1939 is in 1904, but with a name such as that I'm sure it's possibly the same person. I don't know if it will help but there is a marriage for William O'Toole 1945 Grimsby to Elizabeth Rolf.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
The cards you have from the Fourth Register of Seamen do not tell the full story of a seaman's career, there are many mistakes and omissions and many have not survived. Generally, but not always, these cards were transferred into The Fifth Register of Seamen for those who were serving just prior to WW2 and who were intending to continue to serve at sea during the war. It may be that he did not serve in the MN after 1938; however, you should check for a CRS 10 in The Fifth Register of Seamen held at Kew in series BT 382.

It looks like he served aboard HEADCLIFFE 8-12-1919.
COATSWORTH no dates.
HARMONIC 8.5.1937
LUCISTON 30-10-1937

I cannot see any WW2 records for him so check BT 382/1357 in case there are any WW2 records for him.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
HMac, thank you for the information on where else to look.  I'm not sure when I can get to Kew as I live 'up North' but will book-mark this page for when I can.

Ellenmai, thank you too for looking for further information.  The image of the death record for William Vincent P O'Toole gives his DoB as 1st May 1903, which is also the date on one of his merchant navy records, although his headstone says he died aged 71, which would put his birth at 1901  :-\    The extra names are also a puzzle, but his mother did the same thing so perhaps it became a family tradition!   It does seem quite a coincidence if it isn't him, although I would need to order the marriage certificate to be sure. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.