Author Topic: Huntingtons disease family history..Grant, Reygate & Clark  (Read 314 times)

Offline Leeschof

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huntingtons disease family history..Grant, Reygate & Clark
« on: Sunday 14 May 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
I have been searching my mothers family history mainly as there is a history of huntingtons disease on her mothers side of the family which i have now followed back 150 years.
I can find the find where the disease was introduced back in 1795 when Thomas Grant 1795-1837 married Ann E knight 1791- ? in Reigate, Surrey they had 9 children, one of which was Maria born 1827 who married Edward Reygate 1817-1891, Maria died in 1873 in a mental asylum of a disease of the brain, clearly huntingtons, the family lived in Banstead.
They went on to have 7 children, several of which also died in lunatic asylums in the Surrey/South London area in their late 40s/early 50s, Ann Elizabeth was one of their children born 1860, she married Henry Thomas Sugars of Goldington, Bedford in 1887 then they moved north to Lancashire having 6 children, one of which is my great grandmother Lizzie 1895-1940 who inherited the illness from her mother, it goes on from there and even today i have cousins in their early 20s who are being diagnosed, thankfully my mother was one of the lucky ones and did not inherit the gene from her affected mother meaning i am also clear.
I have several holes in the very large tree i would like to fill and am very keen to talk to anyone who things they may have connections to the family.
Thanks, Lee.