Author Topic: Luzia Ralha (1900-2001) and parents  (Read 1293 times)

Offline filipeslima

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luzia Ralha (1900-2001) and parents
« on: Sunday 14 May 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

My girlfriend recently discovered an extraordinary picture of her great-grandmother Luzia and her parents.
The picture is missing a portion on Luzia's side. I'd really love to see it restored, "filling" the gap as good as possible.

I have a .tif with 1200 ppi in google drive here, if it helps: https://goo.gl/MkvYY4
The attached JPEG is only 600 ppi.

Thanks in advance!
Filipe

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Luzia Ralha (1900-2001) and parents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
'Till the good ones appear:

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
One from me...

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
One from me. It was a joy to practice on the TIFF file! To get under the 500 KB posting limit, I've halved the resolution and posted at 'medium'quality. I think others (notably AndyPandy - I wish I had his wardrobe ;) ) have made a better go of it but PM if you want want the better quality file.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline filipeslima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Awesome submissions so far! I'm really ecstatic with them!

@japeflakes, subtle and clean, thanks!

@Handypandy, love how it is extremely clean (looks like a HD version of the original!) and really a positive surprise on the "missing part". I'd like to see Luzia appear a little less "lean" on the missing part, if that's at all possible. Seems to me that a "rounder" figure would make it perfect.

@Mike, I feel yours is nicely balanced, and I love Luzia's figure on this one, seems "full" and realistic. Would it be possible to retouch the stone pillar's edge just a bit? It kinda looks "cut" in some places. Still, awesome  :)

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
With all due respect, I don't feel inclined to alter my version. I suggest that you accept all versions as they are, as none of us can be 100% sure of exactly how she looked, so you have some variations. Her upper body did not give me the impression that she was particularly large.
I would however be interested to know if she was pregnant at the time, her pose seems to suggest it, to me at least. I also wonder if her covering her ring finger is a coincidence or deliberate? These are the details that fascinate me.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
My try.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline filipeslima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
@Handypandy, I completely understand and respect that. She wasn't pregnant at the time, but I hadn't thought about the "finger covering" until now. No idea if there would be a reason to deliberately hide something, which is very intriguing. Seems like I'm due a conversation with her living children  :)

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
My effort,  :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls