Author Topic: Help with deciphering Birthplace  (Read 770 times)

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering Birthplace
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 May 17 05:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone yes have reason to believe he was Canadian or American please see this prior forum post i made on this Joseph http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767094.msg6192085#msg6192085
I cant find him anywhere so far but lots of people have him in their ANC trees as the one born 1853 but based on his marriage cert etcd and age given at childrens births im sticking with the 1846-7 date ....have wondered if he was born in north america then has lost parents and been sent home to eng to family who have then baptised him...a stretch maybe   but stranger things have happened :)
Familysearch shows a Joseph Thomas Squire was baptised 14/10/1853 St. Paul, Bedford, Bedfordshire son of Thomas and Ann. 

However, can find no likely marriage between a Thomas and Ann, nor can I find any one them on UK census.   Nor is there a birth entry for a Joseph Thomas Squire in 1853.

All very strange - the only Joseph Thomas birth in 1853 Bedford is a Joseph Thomas Taylor who likewise never seems to be seen again and frustratingly the birth is not coming up on the new GRO index.   There were 2 of this name in the June quarter 1853 but the Bedford one is not coming up.
I was wondering whether Joseph Thomas Taylor was the illegitimate son of an Ann Taylor (by a Thomas Squire?) and that somehow he was baptised as if the parents were married.

This has happened in a family line I worked on years ago - a lady from Essex worked for a man in Cambridgeshire who was the father of her child.   She then had the child baptised in Suffolk (where she resided a very short time) as if born from a lawful union between them when this was not the case. 

Annette
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,