Author Topic: Photo Albums  (Read 510 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Photo Albums
« on: Monday 15 May 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
I am currently going through some old family albums where the photos have been stuck in with sticky tape in some places and are in what I'm assuming are not photo safe albums. I am gradually taking out the photos and scanning them.

My question is what new album I should put them in? I know there are photo safe pocket albums these days but that limits me because of all the different sizes of photos. Then there is the dry mount albums but then once they are stuck in (I would use photo safe adhesive tape from creative memories for e.g.) I couldn't see the backs to see what is written on them, in lots of cases they are postcards. It would take up a lot of space to also scan the backs of all the photos and have them next to each photo.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has faced this problem and would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with what has worked for them.

I will add that while I am trying my best to save these photos I may not end up being the one to keep the albums. They are old family albums that are floating at the moment until its decided if we keep them or if they get passed onto the last remaining male relative of that line. So I'm not wanting to spend a huge amount of money at this stage.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Albums
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 17 05:25 BST (UK) »
I use acid-free photo corners to mount them on paper, then put them in clear pockets in binders.

It's a right royal pain to fiddle with a roll of c200 corners, but they are cheap (a couple of pounds a roll) and I can easily pop the picture out if needed.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk