Author Topic: Lintrathen Parish  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lintrathen Parish
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
However this is from the 1850s with no record of Tillysoul at all. This indicates to me that the 'Solider's Billets' or 'Inn' have all but long disappeared by this time.
I would be cautious about assuming that the meaning of the place name in Lintrathen had the same origin as the one between Dingwall and Evanton, or that, if the origin was the same, it was still an inn or a soldiers' billet in 1785. It was certainly nothing like that in 1841, where both households were headed by an agricultural labourer.

The Ordnance Survey booklet about the origins of place names says that Tilly and Tully are ultimately from Gaelic 'tulach', which means a knoll or hillock or a small (green) eminence. James B Johnson's Place Names of Scotland concurs. I would guess that '-soul' could be from 'sabhal', meaning barn, so the composite name would be something like Barnhillock in English. Apart from Tomintoul, which is from Tom-an-t-sabhail and means pretty much the same thing, I can't immediately think of anywhere else that ends with '-soul' or similar.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
This is totally irrelevant to the OPs question but I've just noticed that they have 'Inzion' down as 'Onion' on the map.  ;D ;D ;D
Not altogether surprising. 'Onion' is pronouncd 'Ing-in' in various parts of Scotland, and when I saw 'Inzion' on the map, that's exactly how I would expect it to be pronounced.

I remember as a child going to order 'twa plain bradies an an inginy ane an a', which being translated means 'two plain bridies and one with onions'. Sadly, you don't seem to be able to get plain bridies these days - they all have onions in them, and I dislike the taste of onions :(

And while on the topic of bridies, I object to these things that purport to be bridies but have flaky pastry or (even worse) contain potatoes. A proper self-respecting Forfar bridie has shortcrust pastry and definitely no tatties.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
This is totally irrelevant to the OPs question but I've just noticed that they have 'Inzion' down as 'Onion' on the map.  ;D ;D ;D
Not altogether surprising. 'Onion' is pronouncd 'Ing-in' in various parts of Scotland, and when I saw 'Inzion' on the map, that's exactly how I would expect it to be pronounced.

I remember as a child going to order 'twa plain bradies an an inginy ane an a', which being translated means 'two plain bridies and one with onions'. Sadly, you don't seem to be able to get plain bridies these days - they all have onions in them, and I dislike the taste of onions :(

And while on the topic of bridies, I object to these things that purport to be bridies but have flaky pastry or (even worse) contain potatoes. A proper self-respecting Forfar bridie has shortcrust pastry and definitely no tatties.

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it it's actually a very important point to keep in mind for family research in Scotland. You'd imagine that many places were pronounced and therefore spelt in a "non-anglicised" way at the time. Nothing was standard back then unlike today. I look at my own surname "McKenzie" and realise that in the past it's "correct" pronunciation is something like "McKenny" this applies to Menzies and the like too.

The "ingin" (onion) thing is something I'd heard of before.

I guess as time goes on these "Scot-isms" disappear and places names change completely.

I grew up in the 80s/90s and was actually scolded by parents for not using "proper" English so everything I said was standard English. Even although they used many Scots words themselves. I suppose it was a sign of the times. Sad but language does change.

I like a good Forfar Bridie myself, but refuse to buy it outside of Forfar, and I'm not there very much. :D

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
I grew up in the 80s/90s and was actually scolded by parents for not using "proper" English so everything I said was standard English. Even although they used many Scots words themselves. I suppose it was a sign of the times. Sad but language does change.
Likewise, though I was a decade or three ahead of you. If my parents had heard me asking for "twa plain bradies an an inginy ane an a", I'd have earned myself a guid skelp on the dowp or mebbe on the lug!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 May 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
There's more than one Achnasaul  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 May 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Good thinking, Skoosh. 'Achadh' meaning 'field' and 'sabhal' meaning 'barn'?

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 May 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, for your massive help.

Not being Scottish, the postings have taken me on a broad journey - googling everything.

Regards
Grantley

PS: Living in South Australia, influenced by the Cornish, I only know of a pastie with potato & onion.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 May 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
I will be definitely seeking out a Forfar Bridie when/if next I am in the area!  :)

It is fascinating to see the old place names, and sad to see that so many of the places have disappeared over the centuries.

A few years ago I came across one or two old maps (from the 1700s if I recall correctly) which, as I mentioned in my last post, had a lot of detail, even including farmsteads - I remember being thrilled to find one relating to my Brother in Law's family. I am presuming it was an NLS map, but I can't for the life of me find it. It is possible there were only these very detailed maps of a couple of counties rather than all of Scotland.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of any such maps that they are aware of?  :)

Added: a section of the 1788 Ainslie map I referred to can be seen here:
http://bonniewilliam.com/generations/scottish-roots-aussie-beginnings-2/
Upon second look, it is not as detailed as I thought, and not as detailed as others I've seen.  :-\

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
Try http://maps.nls.uk/ - they have Ainslie's map of 1794 and Thomson's one of 1825. They're very similar, but I think Thomson is slightly clearer than Ainslie.