Author Topic: Alice Mary Monaghan  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Mary Monaghan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 May 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Is isabella Duggan the mother of  Alice monaghans ?

Which is why I asked.

Many errors were made on registrations, often depending on how overawed the informant was when faced with questions from someone 'in authority'
If the informant, having given details of the child, birth date and address, name of father, mother's maiden name was asked and who are you? she may have said 'mother' BUT she MAY have been the mother of the lady who had just given birth, rather than the mother of the child being registered..

Accents/ misinterpreted questions/ illiteracy (through lack of opportunity rather than ability) etc etc contributed to many errors on registrations.

I searched for a very long time for a registration of Michael McGarrighal/McGargle/Macgarrigle/ cobble together any combination of letters that may equate to McGarrighal, in Newcastle 1879. He was one of 11 and I had the other 10 but this one eluded me.

This being prior to council budget cuts and the Registrar still had the time and enough staff to take time to answer, I emailed the registrar in desperation.
I explained my theory that, as this man had probably 'wet the baby's head' prior to going to register the birth and he likely had a strong Irish accent, the Registrar may have written down his best guess for a surname - could the registrar help me find a registration? I gave the father's name, occupation, mother's first name and maiden name and the date of baptism I had from the church records (RC so likely to be very soon after birth but possibly prior to registration)

Bingo! He found it,bless him! The child had been registered with the surname McGallagher :-)

<have a drink or two, affect an Irish accent and put yourself in the place of a Registrar who is just getting used to a North Eastern accent and it all makes sense!>

Boo

Offline craftyannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
I agree with your theory in the main Boo,   but as "Isabella Duggan" has signed the certificate herself...there being no X for her mark...its sort of thrown me a bit, so i'll suggest that I send for a copy of the marriage of Thomas and Alice  Duggan , to see what info is on that, addresses etc which may help to solve the problem, as at the time, i couldn't find a marriage for Thomas to an Isabella Duggan                        Its very possible that it could turn out to be that Isabella is actually Alice Duggan's mother like you say.   :-\

many thanks for your help. :)
Annie 

Offline craftyannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
hi Pauline,                    as explained to Boo,   Isabella is named on the birth cert as the mother/informant.

Annie   :)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
The informant has the surname Duggan.

The mother of the newborn has the surname Monaghan.

So it looks even less like the informant was the newborn's mother

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline craftyannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
   Think I've confused myself with this Alice /Isabella thing ???      the certificate does say the mother is ISABELLA MONAGHAN formerly DUGGAN               and the informant is Isabella Monaghan and not Duggan as i said previously, however,  as all the census seem to imply that ALICE is the mother,   I will pass it all over to my friend and see what she wants to do.

thanks Pauline.
regards                       Annie