Author Topic: Oldest age an ancestor had their first child?  (Read 2536 times)

Online Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oldest age an ancestor had their first child?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
My Gran was 37 when Dad was born.  Grandpa was 40.  Dad was their only child, and they had been married just a year when he was born.  They married in 1921, so I suspect that WW1 and even the Boer War could have interfered with them finding life partners until later in life!

Grandpa's sister was 46 when she married, and my Mother did tell me that she had a miscarriage - so that would have been really old  for a first child, had the pregnancy run its full term.

A lot of the other female members of that generation did not marry - again, perhaps the influence or consequence of the wars?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 May 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine got married at around 40, then they adopted 2 boys, then at age about 45 or 46 she had her FIRST and after that, another!   All without help from IVF or anything like that  ::)  ::)  ::)
And they are all still alive! (Except her husband ??? ??? )

One drawback to late pregnancies - people who didn't know the family often thought she was her kids grandmother instead of mother  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 May 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
My parents married fairly late, Dad was 40, and Mum 35. I was born in the first year, and my brother born 5 years later, when Dad was 46 and Mum 42. Dad went to visit Mum at the maternity home, and was told by the sister that she had to ask permission from Matron for grandparents to visit! Things have changed somewhat in the intervening 72 years.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)