Author Topic: David Arthur Griffiths, c1920-1954  (Read 971 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Arthur Griffiths, c1920-1954
« on: Monday 15 May 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Griffiths was killed in a train accident in New Zealand 3/1/1954 and buried at Tauranga.

http://www.tauranga.govt.nz/facilities/cemeteries/cemeteries-search/cemeteries-detail/tabid/2455/tctl/5323_/Default.aspx?plotid=ANGLICAN*B1716

As you will from the photo of his tombstone he was a Leading Cook in the Royal Navy (P/M. X 66296. LDG/CK).

I assume he is the DAG living Tauranga on the 1949 electoral roll, a garage attendant, living with Vera Cecelia Griffiths. But only marriage I can find, with no match so far in New Zealand, is a David A Griffiths to a Vera C Fewings in Neath, Wales in 1947 (I assume her middle name is Cecelia as was her mother's) - and I assume they are the David A Griffiths, baker, and Vera C Griffiths who sail to New Zealand from UK in 1950.

So I am a bit confused. Are all these DAG the same person? if not, is it possible to identify further the seaman who died in the train crash? (Incidentally I can find no further trace of a Vera Cecelia Griffiths apart from that 1949 electoral roll).

Thanks
John

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Arthur Griffiths, c1920-1954
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hello John

I've re-checked the New Zealand records / passenger lists to NZ /  searched for a possible re-marriage for Vera Cecelia (Cecilia) / looked for a probate file or Will for David ... etc.

Yes, I would say that all you've found, relates to David and his wife, Vera.  ;)

Incidentally, it wasn't unusual for an immigrant to have a change in occupation ... often people were sponsored to a new country and that may have involved a different line of employment (maybe only temporarily ) to meet the requirements of an immigration "deal" .

This looks to be Vera ... making her way back to the UK after David's tragic death. :(

M.S. "Skaubryn" - from Sydney, Australia to Southampton - arrived 21 June 1954 :

# 259.   GRIFFITHS - Vera - 29 years - housewife
Place of last permanent residence :  NZ
Place of future residence :   Wales
Address (in UK) :  8 Hayberry Road, Baglab, Port Talbot.

~ Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Mmm ... I just found this also.

It has been indexed as > year  1950 > although that is clearly wrong - as indicated on the actual image of the passenger list, it should be 1954;D

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XS79-MWZ

It seems this is Vera making her way from New Zealand to Sydney, to connect with the ship taking her on to the UK.
[Also there is an Elizabeth GRIFFITHS listed (handwritten surname entered ) ?   Maybe no connection, but thought it worth mentioning. ]

~  Lu

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Possible remarriage? for Vera C. @ Neath. [searched between 1954 & 1964]

Marriages Jun 1955 

[Details sent by PM]

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks but one thing concerns me. The Griffiths-Fewings marriage is registered the 4th quarter 1947 and David Arthur Griffiths/Vera Cecelia Griffiths are in Tauranga on the 1949 electoral roll, compiled 1948 I assume. I cannot find David and/or Vera Griffiths on a passenger list for 1948, and if they had just arrived in the country would they manage to get on the voters' list? - though I suppose things may have been disorganised for a time after WW2. I am of the belief that the DAG and his wife Vera C on the 1950 passenger list to New Zealand are only then going to New Zealand.
It just seems curious that they marry late 1947, are in New Zealand less than a year later, then back in the UK (both times with no trace on passenger lists), then return to New Zealand in 1950. Not improbable but the lack of evidence of travel makes me wonder.

If the 1954 death was born here in UK, there are 7 possible births of a David A Griffiths in the 1919-1921 time frame, all in Wales. I managed to eliminate 5 as dying in the UK leaving a David A Griffiths registered Bridgend 1st quarter 1919 and the other in Llanelly 2nd quarter 1920.

But to be honest, I may be chasing shadows as the David Arthur Griffiths I am trying to find is a man about whom very little is known. He is said to have been born c1918/1919 by someone, now deceased, born 1919 who was certain he was about the same age as himself. The 1954 death interests me as its the first suspect I have found born around the right time. But the source knew him c1951 when he was in London working in publishing before apparently leaving in the winter of 1951/1952 to join the RAMC - unproven.

So this New Zealand connection may be a red herring regarding the DAG I am looking for, but it would be nice if the couple on the 1949 electoral roll could definitely be linked to the 1947 marriage and to the couple on the 1950 passenger list.
Thanks
John

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 10:46 BST (UK) »

The Griffiths-Fewings marriage is registered the 4th quarter 1947 and David Arthur Griffiths/Vera Cecelia Griffiths are in Tauranga on the 1949 electoral roll, compiled 1948 I assume.

Hello John

The 1949 Electoral roll [Bay of Plenty > Tauranga] on which the above couple appear, is in fact a Supplementary roll [Supplementary Roll No. 2  for that particular electorate].

If you still have access to these NZ rolls, you can see at Image # 192 [of 197] that this roll is dated
6 August 1951 .

~  Lu

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucy. Something else to watch for when using Ancestry.  If you don't spot these addenda updates it can be misleading.

But it does look now like my DAG is not the 1954 death as he was in New Zealand when mine was working in London.

Thanks for your herlp,
John