Author Topic: Another Naylor / Ball marriage in South Normanton  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Another Naylor / Ball marriage in South Normanton
« on: Monday 15 May 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Given my particular interest in the Naylor and Ball families of South Normanton, I was tracing another member - Isaac Ball - when I found myself in the village of Brimington just outside Chesterfield. Not the right Isaac but this entry really stood out:

At 8 Wheldon Hill, Brimington in the census of 1851 ( HO107/2147  756  2)

Joseph Ball Aged 78 Head Labourer  Normanton, Derbyshire
Elizabeth Ball Aged 77 Wife Normanton, Derbyshire
Joseph Naylor Aged 35 son-in-law  Ironstone miner  Bradford, Yorkshire
Rachel Naylor Aged 38 daughter (married)  Normanton, Derbyshire.

(Rachel could be written as Rachael)

That places Joseph Ball born about 1773 and Rachel (presumably) Ball born about 1813

I have been unable to merge these two or a marriage to Joseph Naylor with other available records.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Another Naylor / Ball marriage in South Normanton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Didn't you check the 1841 to see if they were married then?  She appears to still be Ball
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
There is an 1845 marriage but it shows Joseph Norton - not Naylor.  Rachel's father is shown as  Joseph though.  See Family Search

Freebmd shows it in the Chesterfield RD which is the correct RD for where they were in 1841& 1851
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks

Mind you that 1841 census adds even further to the confusion. I'm still assessing Joseph Ball to be born in 1771 (his wife Elizabeth to be about the same. Now we have three other children (Isaac and Sarah with the youngest - another Joseph living next door)

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe one tiny pointer from Familysearch:
There are several entries suggesting that Sarah Ball born about 1829 which would match with the 1841 Brimington census belonged to Joseph and Elizabeth Ball. That's stretching it a bit as Elizabeth would have been in her late 50s by then.

There is however a whole string of entries in the IGI files, the most telling of which is that Sarah Ann Ball, the daughter if Rachael Ball was baptised in Brimington on June 8th 1828

Cheers Alan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 17 17:57 BST (UK) »

Joseph Ball    70
Elizabeth  70
Rachael  30
Isaac  3 - given an occupation is shown for him and looking at the image - he was 20 
Sarah  10
John Bacon 20

FS has a number of births to Joseph & Elizabeth Ball between 1795-1825 and Isaac is shown in 1819 to Joseph & Betty but no entry for Rachael

FS has a Sarah Ball born 1831 to Thomas & Isabella.  1831 is more in keeping with the 1841 entry than 1829.  She could have been a grandchild

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 May 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
Deaths March qtr 1857   
Rachael Naylor     Chesterfield    7b   311

GRO online shows her age as 50??